Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Help! Speakers not working? - 12-28-2009, 03:21 AM

I recently got a Dell Mini 9 and immediately installed OS X on it. When it was done, I was not able to get audio through the speakers, although the headphone jack works.

This happens in-browser as well as inside the sound settings.

However, I don't think it's an OS issue because I booted from a linux LiveCD (Crunchbang) and it had the same problem. I even swapped out the 32GB SuperTalent SSD for my stock 8GB STEC with Windows XP, and same problem. Both OS X and XP detected when I plugged in my headphones and I could get audio there, but not through the speakers.

Does anyone know if somehow my speakers are disabled or faulty Any possible fix I can try on my own before sending it back to Dell?

Searched and didn't find anything. Thank you in advance.
  (#2) Old
Default 02-10-2010, 01:04 AM

This turned out to be a hardware issue - sent it back to Dell for warranty repair and it came back with working speakers. Just updating the thread for future reference.

Also, for anyone sending the unit back for repair - Dell does not require your hard drive or the battery. They do ask for the AC adapter, but I did not include mine (it's non-OEM, so I was afraid it would be unfairly blamed for the speaker going out somehow) and the repair still went through ok.
  (#3) Old
Default 02-10-2010, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got it fixed.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« RunCore 128GB Pro IV - issues??? | Dell Mini 9 Hard drive »