Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 9 wont boot up blank screen but lit LED - 12-22-2009, 09:22 AM

Yes similar story from all previous HW issue thread, but I still couldnt solve it. Mostly cuz the Orginal Post dont leave their feedback after solving the problem

What happen: I installed the BIOS in windows, but it froze, after I pulled the battery the mini 9 wont boot up. Nothing shows up, no beep and the LED is solid on. Tried with external monitor also.

I read the The Dellâ„¢ Mini Laptop Does Not Complete POST with removing both hdd and memory, still doesnt work. At the end the site told me to contact their tech, my mini's warranty expired this Sept there was nothing they can do for free, but I left the tech a email anyway.

I read that it's the faulty mobo that is causing the problem, but since no warranty, i bet its gonna cost half of Mini. lol. Is there anything else I can do to save my Mini?
  (#2) Old
Default 12-22-2009, 03:58 PM

Sure sounds bricked to me. You might want to try the recovery method in Somms' post (the sticky above):

Dell I910 Mini/Vostro A90 USB Key Drive flashBIOS Utility
  (#3) Old
Default 12-22-2009, 10:43 PM

Thanks got it back, also thanks fbye for the solution.

URGENT Help Required Please !! - Dead Mini 9
Originally Posted by fbyte View Post
If you don't want to play with the Linux and dd, I found a Windows version of the Phoenix critdisk.bat tool that allows you to directly create a recovery flash disk using a USB stick (instead of the floppy)

The "trick" is that the boot in the recovery disk is kind of special, it loads the MINIDOS.SYS file which is the one that would execute the PHFLASH16.EXE and load the BIOS.WPH.

Just run WINCRIS.EXE, leave the default values and press "start", it would create a bootable (recovery) usb disk.

I've add the latest A05 bios to the zip file, so it would give you the Fx function keys (if it works)

while I couldn't run WINCRIS.EXE on my win7, i ran it on another XP lappy and after that, load the bootable flash to my mini 9.

« touchpad not responsive after certain use or after moving the laptop | No audio mixer device, not getting any sounds »