Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Shift keys not working after keyboard replace - 12-20-2009, 06:03 PM

OK please excuse the formatting on this. I have no shift key.

We bought this inspiron 910 when they first came out - there was a buy a xps get a mini on the cheap deal so we picked it up for our daughter. It worked fine until we upgraded from the dell distro'd Ubuntu to the regular ubuntu distro. things started to get a bit wacky then. The keyboard took a total dive - d became v and g didn't work and all those kinds of things. Hubby tried to reset the layout but eventually the keyboard just didn't work at all, we got a new one under warranty and installed it.

After install the battery stopped charging so I'm constantly running off AC. Updated the BIOS to v5 and installed Jolicloud since Ubuntu Remix wasn't recognizing some of the hardware. Everything works great EXCEPT the two shift keys.

Since it's just those two I'm inclined to believe it's a hardware compatibility issue - and not the hardware itself - but the OS doesn't recognize a shift keypress as a keypress. It views it as a mapping event.

Soooo...comments suggestions help - insert question marks where appropriate. thx

and darn this is in the wrong forum - should be in mini 9. sorry guys.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-20-2009, 07:37 PM

It sounds as if either the OS has the wrong keyboard map set or you may need to reset the BIOS keyboard variant. I assume that this is a standard US keyboard? If so, do this:

Shut down the Mini.
Disconnect the AC adapter.
Hold down the Fn and S keys.
Reconnect the AC adapter
Release the keys.

If it's a Linux issue, someone else will have to help.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 12-20-2009, 08:33 PM

Try booting off a Linux LiveCD or LiveUSB drive, and see if the problem persists.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« "Operating System Not Found" Dell Mini9 | Mini 9 battery life after sitting »