Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default replaced screen, now white screen/won't boot - 12-12-2009, 09:13 AM

A while back, I accidentally cracked my Mini 9's screen. I could still use Windows XP, but only if I was happy with 30% of the screen functional.

I recently bought a replacement screen off of eBay. Before undertaking the replacement, I booted up an all was as it was before. I charged up the battery that night, then took it to work. I disconnected the battery after shutting down and left it on my desk on Monday.

Today, I did the screen replacement. There was the usual prying and pulling, but I didn't seem to damage anything. I put the new screen in, hooked all of the wires back up, put the palm rest back down, hooked up the keyboard, replaced the battery, and attempted to boot. The Mini was not completely reassembled; I had not replaced all of the screws, just in case.

I got a black screen followed by a pure white screen followed by a black screen followed by another white screen -- then all black. The power was on, but I heard no sounds and nothing seemed to be happening. I hooked it up to AC power and got the same results.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-15-2009, 03:40 PM

I dunno. Sorry.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 12-15-2009, 05:08 PM

Take it apart and do it again. That's the only way to find out if you missed something or knocked something loose. We are all making the assumption that the replacement screen is the standard screen for your mini right?

Dell Mini 10v Mac OSX 10.6.2 1 GB RAM 160GB HDD BIOS A05 Blue Tooth 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |
  (#4) Old
Default 12-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Per the dell parts list for this lcd, you should be using - X046J - 8.9 WSVGA LCD service kit,LED,Truelife(Inclued e LCD panel, LVDS only cable, LCD left/right rubber) - SVC,LCD,8.9WSVGA,LED,TLF,WO/C

If you need a more detailed teardown for that system, let me know.. The ones I have are a lot prettier than the service manuals that Dell provides online for end users to download. As mentioned before, you may have missed a cable or something somewhere.

Dell ProSupport Technician 2004-Present
  (#5) Old
Default 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM

Have you tried it with an external monitor?
  (#6) Old
Default 12-18-2009, 03:45 PM

I have not tried it with an external monitor, but I will.

The monitor is a LP089WS1 / LG Philips, which I've seen on a lot of Mini 9 compatibility lists.
  (#7) Old
Default LP089WS1 vs X046J and warranties - 01-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Any luck with the LP089WS1 vs the X046J? I need to replace a cracked LCD, what/where is best? Any advice on getting DELL to do the replacement under "Rapid Response Depot" warranties?

(#8) Old
Default Update - 04-06-2010, 04:53 PM

JESawyer, Any updates with this story?

I just bought and installed the LG LP089WS1 for my Mini 9 as well. Everything went fine at first. The screen is very clear and crisp (much better than the default AVO one imo). However, I am having brightness issues. The LCD dims fully at around 50%, then gradually gets brighter in either direction from there.

I was just curious if you ever resolved your issue or had a similar brightness problem.

The monitor should be compatible (it is recognized correctly by the system). I'm suspecting that your problem was due to a loose cable connection, where mine might be an inverter issue.

I know I should have bought the default dell monitor, but they quoted me $185 for the screen, where I got this one from amazon for just under $50. In the end, I can live with a brightness annoyance for the extra $135 that I pocketed, but I still wish I could resolve it.

boot problems, screen replacement, white screen

« Having some issues with a new SSD... | 55,000 Hours Est. »