Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Touchpad button always on Mini 9 - 11-28-2009, 02:45 PM

My left touchpad button is "stuck" to be always on. It's not physically stuck, but rather the button is permanently active. This was verified by switching the button configuration around because previously it was the right button.

Initially I looked at the touchpad monitor in the task bar which had the right button always highlighted. This made it hard to click things but was still possible. So I tried changing the button configuration in the touchpad settings, so that the right button was disabled, and the left button was active. When I applied this, the left button then became stuck. Now I can't select anything at all, and can't run things from the start menu.

I contacted Dell support who gave me some BIOS settings and the latest touchpad drivers, but this hasn't worked.

I am able to access regedit - are there any registry settings I can fiddle with to reset the touchpad buttons or install an external mouse or something? Or maybe do something during boot-up? Dell mentioned windows safe mode, by pressing F8 during the boot sequence but this doesnt' seem to do anything and Windows loads as normal.

I tried searching this and other forums but haven't come across this before.

I am running Windows XP home edition.

button, touchpad

« Screen issue from dropping the laptop | Hyper-X 2 gig and BlueScreen »