Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Angry SSD Error Partitioning - 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Hooray for me I think my SSD just died. Just in time too for the 1 year 1 month anniversary of my Mini 9 purchase. I attempted to install the wonderful Ubuntu Netbook Remix edition and it gave me an error during installation. Now whenever I try partitioning the drive it gives me an error. i tried Ubuntu live, Mac OSX, & Windows 7. They all give me errors.

Does anyone have any secrets or helpful hints? Perhaps a utility with no concern for data or the well being of a drive that will format through anything. Thanks in advance even a confirmation letting me know my drive is done for will be nice.

If my SSD has passed away can someone direct me to the cheapest place to purchase a new one.
  (#2) Old
Default 11-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Don't get your hopes up, but I'd look into this: ATA Secure Erase - ata Wiki. The ATA SECURITY ERASE UNIT command asks the drive to completely erase itself. It's gonna be the most powerful way of erasing the drive.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 11-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. Perhaps you can order a new one from Runcore or Newegg or buy a slightly used one from ebay?

My Mini 9 is from Feb 2009 so I am approaching the 1 year mark myself...good luck to you!

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#4) Old
Default 11-17-2009, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the responses both of you much appreciated. The ATA Secure Erase was exactly something like I was searching for. When I started to do the command however it said my drive is frozen. Could this be a reason while it will not partition? I am going to try the HDDErase program next since it seems it has some sort of work around. Otherwise it will be back to hdparm but I don't know what they mean by hot plug and hot removing and putting back the drive while the computer is on I am guessing?

error, failure, partition, ssd

« Help with weird audio problem | Screen issue from dropping the laptop »