Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#21) Old
Default 10-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dherren View Post
I may take a look at the Super Talent, but I have to say that even though I am now on my third Runcore T-Style, the folks at Mydigitaldiscount have been terrific and helpful. I'll definitely continue to do business with them.
The folks at MDD have been great, for sure, but I'm actually exchanging my T-Style 32GB for a non-T-Style 64GB.

Someone in the MDD Forum claims he found out what's causing this: a short on one of the screws that attaches the SSD to the slot (Runcore 128gb IV pro in mini 9 Success!), but I'm just not willing to use electrical tape and luck to keep it from shorting out again in the future, particularly when my Mini 9 has become such an integral part of my job in a very short period of time.

To be clear, this is RunCore's fault, and not MDD's. But I'm disappointed nonetheless.
  (#22) Old
Default 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM

I have had similar problems with a 32Gb pro IV Runcore SSD bought from a UK supplier. Initial cloning via USB worked fine, but the drive became unusable once installed in the mini-PCI slot. I have one of the first batch of mini-9s sold in the UK running bios A05, so I don't think the problem is specific to later models.

I did notice that the drive was not recognised at all by the bios when I used both screws to fasten it in, whereas it did appear if I removed the corner screw (albeit with a size of 0Gb and unable to boot or partition). Sounds as if there may be a design fault...
  (#23) Old
Expert Member
Default 10-22-2009, 06:56 PM

(#24) Old
Default 10-24-2009, 05:25 PM

Oh man- I just found this thread and my heart goes out to you all! It sounds like I'm one of the few people who haven't any issues with the T-Style RunCore card. I received my new mini last month (running A05), and then shortly after ordered a RunCore Pro IV 64gb T-Style from a Hong Kong retailer on ebay (received the card direct from Hong Kong in 2 DAYS!!!). I popped it into the Mini 9 after difficulty getting the screws out (had to use a dremel to cut into them so that I could use a flathead) and it worked out of the box perfectly. I've now been using this machine running OSX 10.5.8 for roughly three weeks without any issues at all. I've put it through the ropes two- used it as a primary design machine for a few 8-9 hour days and it was fine as long as I kept it elevated.

I really like the T-Style design as it seems to dissipate heat more evenly, but really bummed to hear that you guys are all encountering issues with this. If I would have seen this thread first I probably wouldnt have even chanced ordering it, but thankfully I seem to have gotten a good card...

Best of luck to you all! Just thought it would be beneficial to add in a a voice of someone who has one of these working flawlessly without those issues on a brand new mini 9.

 Mini 9 | 64 GB RunCore Pro IV SDD | 2Gb Crucial RAM | OSX 10.5.8 | NBI .8.2 | BIOS A05 | No BlueTooth
 Mac Pro 1,1 | 128 GB Kingston V-Series SDD (startup) | 4Gb RAM | OSX 10.6.2
  (#25) Old
Default 10-25-2009, 05:12 PM

Good to hear a success story. Mine came from an Ebay trader in Hong Kong too and was Fed Ex'd to me in a couple of days. Amazing I thought!

Of course when it wouldn't install and I had to send it back, what seemed til then to be a great deal lost its shine.

Nine days after I know DHL delivered it back to them I am still waiting to hear when another will be sent... apparently they are out of stock and talking to their supplier - HoHum!

At least that sounds as tho I wont be getting a replacement from the same batch.....
  (#26) Old
Default 32g runcore pro iv from memoryc (Ireland) - 10-25-2009, 11:56 PM

I just received my Runcore and have ahd the same problem, googled and found this thread and am at least glad you guys seem to go some way to explaining it.

I cloned my mac os from my working dell mini (and its STEC) via USB to the new Runcore. All went fine, and I then removed battery, anti-staticed myself and installed new runcore which went in fine. (so it seemed)

then in the BIOS no hard drive was found and I tried about 10 times rebooting.

So I am starting to panic and tried the Runcore via USB again once I had swapped in the STEC again. It showed in Finder, but this was only just a cache of the top level directory on the drive - as soon as I try to navigate or repartition with disk utility, my system hangs.

then it comes up with device removal and the mounted icon of the drive disappears. (so this means the drive is now dead!)

I am not sure what to do - I bought mine from memoryc of Ireland (in the EU - I live in UK), who I have used before and have been excellent.

I am going to email them and also Runcore who may have a response on this now.

If it turns out it is the "short" issue with the screw, as in the other thread, I will be very cross with Runcore for possibly having let these get out without spotting the problem - it is *meant* to work on this platform specifically!

Hopefully though Runcore will realise they have to sort this properly, and help their suppliers and customers. (in fairness I have a runcore for an eeePC 901 of oler type SSD and it has worked great since I got it).

An interesting point is that on youtube there is a video (with chinese looking text) showing to install the SSD to a Dell - in it the person gives it a weird nudge ? Anyone know why?

thanks for this thread all of you anyhow, it helps not to be isolated!

edit - haha I just noticed the pathos of my signature (first post I have made for a while here!)

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

a grounding issue is mentioned for some EEE PCs, with Runcore SSDs. EeeUser Forum / Runcore SSD issue - worked perfect in 901;doesn't seem to in 900A ?

I am not sure if it is related to this in any way, but worht a read on other's experinces with SSD problems.

Dell mini 9 running 10.5.6 , 8Gb stec, broadcom airport extreme wirelessN, 8gb veho sdhc, 2gb crucial ram, laminated screen due to over-excitement.
[bluetooth disabled, perfect sleep]
*anyone got any opinion on the Active Media SSD? Sabre tooth ones for sale on amazon are meant to be as fast as runcores! no independent info though *

\0/ -- thanks to dell efi people for all their amazing work!
  (#27) Old
Default 10-27-2009, 04:23 AM

Got the 64g runcore PATA Pro 1V T style today for my mini 9. I put it in with help from this great forum, and some youtube videos. After reading about possible short circuits where it is screwed to the frame, I put electric tape on both of the posts that the screws go into, so any exposed circuits on the bottom of the ssd will not contact the metal. Seems like some soldering would be a little too close to the posts that the runcore screws to.
Anyways, it works great, super fast. And videos are much improved compared to the stock 16G. Hulu and Youtube are perfect, except for HD. Still some stutter in HD, but not as much. Heat is less concentrated; lower temp over wider area.

The only thing is that when I hover the curser over the C drive under my computer , it shows the numbers from the old 16G STEC, and tells me I only have 5G of free space (when I should have 54G!). In a properties box it does indicate the 64G runcore, but does not show the avaliable space, etc. Anyone know how to fix this?
  (#28) Old
Default 10-27-2009, 12:24 PM

Today my Hong Kong supplier says they expect to be resupplied by Runcore and will send me a replacement SSD in 'about two weeks'.

It would really help customer confidence if someone from Runcore came clean on this and told us what has gone wrong and if new drives are being modified to remove the problem...

Or maybe a supplier who is in touch with Runcore could do that? Until this happens there is going to be a cloud of suspicion hanging over this product.
  (#29) Old
Default 10-27-2009, 12:46 PM

MDD is a part-owner in RunCore. You might ask in the MDD forum section, even though you're not buying from them.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#30) Old
Default 10-27-2009, 03:08 PM

I know Steve, I was rather hoping that they might offer an explanation...

I'll let this pan out a bit longer and see how Runcore chooses to play it; day by day there are more people coming forward with the same problem and they must know by now what the cause is

« Bios A06 problem | ran out of battery!!! cant charge!!!! im doomed!!!! help!!!!! »