Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Help! My 5530 card has vanished! - 09-18-2009, 07:30 AM

Hi all

I previously had Mac OS X 10.5.6 on my Mini 9, and the WWAN card worked fine for a while - the speed was a bit slower than XP, but it worked. That is, until earlier this week. When I tried to connect, it would give me the following error: "The selected device is not available. Please verify your settings and try again". I assumed it was a software problem as don't know OS X very well, so I thought I'd give XP another go...

I first tried an nLite'd install, and the device did not show up in the device manager and the driver installation completes without apparently installing any driver. I thought I might have shafted my nLite build by removing something critical, so I've now re-installed the Dell-default XP distribution (even with it's crippling hard drive compression). After installing all driver packages, I get the same problem - the device simply isn't showing up. In past installations, I've just installed the Dell driver package, then the VMC software and everything works fine. All other hardware works perfectly and I have not changed the hardware configuration from the stock components (1GB RAM, 8GB STEC SSD); I haven't even tinkered with BIOS settings - it simply worked one day then gave me an error the next.

WWAN radio is enabled in BIOS (ver A05), along with all other wireless radio settings, and I have even tried physically reseating the Mini PCI card - still nothing. Am I being stupid in epic proportions and missing something blatantly obvious, or is it time to make the call to Dell support here? My Mini 9 came free with a 2 year subscription to Vodafone Mobile Broadband (UK).
  (#2) Old
Default 10-31-2009, 12:00 AM

I've got the same problem. I've upgraded my ram to 2GB and upon startup I find that I can no longer connect wirelessly and the N networking card does not show up in Device Manager. I took it out during the upgrade, but taking it out and putting it back in shouldn't have done anything. I have tried a restore point and reseating the card a couple of times.

« Help with GHOST INSTALL | Windows 7 Mini 9 Cursor Missing »