Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Wireless Issues - 09-07-2009, 01:55 AM

Okay, I have been trolling around the site trying to find an answer, but am not able to. I have a Dell Mini 910 on which we have loaded XP instead of ubuntu, it's my 13 year olds computer and she needs to learn on XP.

Everything is working great except for the Wireless connection. The network is operational, and the computer can see it but it will NOT connect and I am at a loss as to why. It will connect if we open up the secured network and allow anyone to use it, but when we lock it down, it stops allowing the connection.....I have gone through both of my other laptops and checked all the settings with those on the mini, and they are all correct.

Please help, as you can see, I am not technical and have doen everything i can think of. Another thing, when i run a CMD line and then IPCONFIG, it is not showing any Mac or IP address, i thought about opening the router to allow only our MAC addresses but apparently i can't do that either.

Thank You!!!!!

I managed to get it working, opened up the entire router and set it so that only certain MAC addresses can use it....If anyoen has any other ideas, please let me know.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-07-2009, 12:13 PM

You've narrowed it down to the security features. Which security mode are you using on the router (WEP, WPA, WPA2)? Have you tried the Windows "Repair this connection" option? (It may or may not do anything useful.)

However, I will comment that I had very similar issues with my Mini 9 using the stock wireless adapter, but only with some routers - such as my regular home router! I finally gave up and replaced the card with an Intel model that has been flawless for me.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 09-08-2009, 01:24 AM

We did try the alternate connection, we were using WPA-PSK and WPA Personal, but neither option shows up on the mini...I was thinking about a new wireless card, may have to go that route, but for now, we are locked down to certain MAC addresses and I am okay with that, and she is ecstatic that it is working.
Could their be an issue as we are both running Vista, and she is running XP?? Just a question.
  (#4) Old
Default 09-08-2009, 04:30 AM

IIRC, XP doesn't include WPA by default (this was from a while ago, may be outdated).
On filtering by MAC address, that isn't really secure, as MAC addresses can be spoofed fairly easily.
  (#5) Old
Default 09-12-2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kylara View Post
Another thing, when i run a CMD line and then IPCONFIG, it is not showing any Mac or IP address
When running ipconfig are you using the " -all" switch? This will reveal not only your IP but you MAC address for all devices. When MAC filtering on your router, make sure you allowing your wireless card's MAC and not the NIC's (taken from personal experience.)

Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2GB Kingston RAM|32GB RunCore|Bluetooth | 16GB HP SDHC | 1.3mp webcam | Dell 1505 N| OS X 10.5.8
  (#6) Old
Default 09-12-2009, 02:05 AM

Did you install Dell's wireless driver and utility or are you using XP's built-in wireless network configuration?

« Issues with FlashFire SSD Accelerator | SSD Failure »