Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Talking Dell Inspiron 9 Mini and projectors - 11-26-2008, 06:20 PM

I love my mini, but currently it is useless to me since I bought it for conference presentations and it does not work
with MS PowerPoint and an overhead projector. No problems hooking the mini to the projector and seeing the desktop. Only when I opened PowerPoint and tried to view it, it began to cycle. It would show PowerPoint, then a black screen, then PP, and then a black screen, etc.... I could not view my presentation and actually had to transfer my presentation to my stick and use someone else's Mac to do my presentation.

After the sessions were over, I talked to the session chairperson who said that all the mini's seemed to be having problems with the projectors. None of them worked. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it my mini or is it a particular projector? Has anyone successfully shown a presentation using the Mini 9 and PowerPoint?

Per Dell's 21 day return policy which ran out while I was at the conference, returning the machine is not an option. Other than this problem, It works fine.

(#2) Old
Default Re: Dell Inspiron 9 Mini and projectors - 11-27-2008, 02:30 AM

I did not have any problems presenting last thursday evening with my Mini. I used Powerpoint 2003 and cloned my desktop to the projector. I don't know the make/model of projector, but I could find out for you.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Dell Inspiron 9 Mini and projectors - 11-27-2008, 02:17 PM

I've used my Mini9 with three projectors at my office . . . never any problems.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Dell Inspiron 9 Mini and projectors - 11-27-2008, 05:43 PM

I'm not sure what type of projector is was. I was at the AECT conference in Orlando, FL the first week of November. I think
I'm going to have my friend take my mini to work with her and try one of their projectors. I have no projectors at my workplace. Hopefully, that will give me a bit more details. Thanks.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Dell Inspiron 9 Mini and projectors - 12-01-2008, 05:14 PM

Never had a problem. My guess is that it was the projector.
  (#6) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to unclemiltie
Default 08-12-2011, 08:58 PM

I'm seeing this problem as well, but only on my Mini9 and NOT the Mini10v

If I put PPT (2011) into slide show mode with an external display (projector, monitor, whatever) connected to it, the external monitor (full-screen) is completely black and the second monitor (on the mini) has the preview with the next slide on the right and the current slide on the left, the current slide is completely black.

If I run PPT in slide show mode without an external display, the laptop display is completely black.

In either case, I can see the pointer from the mouse move and if I push buttons on the mouse, the slide set advances. When I hit escape I go back to slide view and the desktop, etc comes back.

I do not see this when using the Mini10v, only on the Mini9. I also don't think that I saw this when using PowerPoint 2008 (I no longer have it) Both machines are running MS OFfice 2011 14.1.2 (latest update) and MacOS 10.6.7

Any ideas? My understanding is that the Mini9 and the Mini10v are essentially the same hardware with a different set of plastic. (and hard disk) so how would this happen?

Mini10v: Black, 2GB RAM, 160GHD 10.6.7/Windows 7 Dual-boot, NBI 0.8.4
Mini9: Black, 2GB RAM, 32GSSD, 10.6.7 NBI 0.8.5pre
MacBook Pro:15" Aluminum, 5GB RAM, 640GBHD, 10.6.7
iMac: 20" White 3GB RAM, 750GBHD, 10.6.7
  (#7) Old
Default 08-12-2011, 10:42 PM

(#8) Old
Default 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM

My Mini 9 did well for my presentation however, my mouse batteries gave out

I used Open Office Presentation but the file was a power point file. Did you start the Mini 9 with the projector on & connected? I get nothing with a projector or external monitor unless they are connected to my Mini 9 when it is booted. You might also try in your system & then monitor settings (not sure what it is in windows).

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |

« Repeated problem with mini 9 & sandisk sdhc | new ssd and cant install windows xp »