Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Angry Mini 9 Connectivity Issues - 08-26-2009, 09:42 AM

I’m having serious problems with connecting hardware to my mini 9. I bought an external drive and it worked perfectly for about the first few months. Now I constantly get the USB device not recognised error message 99% of the time I try to plug the hard-drive in. When the drive does actually work it keeps disconnecting itself and then auto play starts up (the hard-drive works fine with desktops).

I also cannot use the hard-drive and connect my IPOD to the Mini 9, as when I plug the IPOD in, it disconnects the hard-drive (I’ve therefore got to copy files onto the Mini 9’s extremely small hard-drive and then copy them across to my IPOD).

I’ve tried downloading the input device drivers from the Dell Support Centre but get error messages when I try to download them.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. This problem is now driving me crazy as I’m travelling with my Mini 9 and can’t access photos and files on the hard-drive.

Many thanks in advance

(#2) Old
Default 08-26-2009, 04:00 PM

Does your external drive have its own power supply or does it pull power via the usb connector? If it's pulling power via usb, that is most likely the problem.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM

Also, many external HDs don't work well with long USB cables; you need to use the short 6" (or whatever) ones for them to work properly. If your drive has the ability to use 2 USB cables simultaneously (1 for data, 1 for supplemental power), try that.
  (#4) Old
Default 08-27-2009, 01:51 AM

What brand external drive did you buy?
  (#5) Old
Default Still no joy - 08-27-2009, 03:34 PM

The posts are much appreciated guys - The hard drive I bought was a Formac 160GB from ebuyer. The cable that came in the drive has 2 USB sockets on one end (one red and one black) so I'm guessing the red one is for power. The error messages still come up even if the drives are plugged in ( and the drive worked fine before).

« Geekbench Scores on OSX Consistently Low | so I dropped my mini 9 on the ground... »