Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#11) Old
Default 08-27-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
No, don't use DBAN on an SSD. That's lots of unnecessary writes.
When I use DBAN for this purpose, I usually kill it after about 100 sectors simply to save time, since the MBR and partition table are in the first few sectors and there's no real need to wipe the rest of the drive in this situation.

But with respect, I think you're overestimating the "wear and tear" that a full DBAN erase would impart on an SSD. In its simplest form - a single pass "quick" wipe with no verify - DBAN will merely write each sector once. IMHO that's hardly a big deal for a device that has a life expectancy of eleventy bajillion writes (or thereabouts ), and is probably no more write activity than the drive would get in a few hours of normal heavy use (or even from a couple more failed installs!)

White Mini 9 | 2GB Transcend RAM | 16GB RunCore | 16GB Patriot Class 6 SDHC | Internal BT | 1505 802.11n | BIOS A05 | OS X 10.5.8
Thinking of trying Dropbox? Use this referal link and we'll both get an extra 250MB of storage.
  (#12) Old
Default 08-28-2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Your DVDRW needs more power, is my experience. Be sure you're running the Mini on AC and have the DVDRW plugged into the USB jack closest to the power jack. If the DVDRW has the ability to run on external power, use it.
Unfortunately my DVDRW didn't come with an AC adaptor

I managed to get it fixed! The issue was that as I didn't see a + sign beside CD in the boot options screen, I assumed it wasn't detected, and was instead trying to boot it as USB Storage. Just earlier, I decided to select CD, and it worked!

I must admit, it's been a while since I last installed XP.

Thanks all for your help

« so I dropped my mini 9 on the ground... | no power on »