Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Pixel wierdness on Mini 9 - 08-12-2009, 03:23 AM

Hey everyone, I received my Dell Mini 9 today I purchased while it was on sale for $199 a few weeks ago. I fired it up tonight, but I noticed what looked like a red pixel near the upper left border. I gave it a slight wipe with my thumb and it disappeared. I then noticed examining the screen with a white background maybe 10 or so similar pixels. It is strange, that some of them vanish and reappear at different viewing angles and all seem to vanish when I give a slight brush with a finger. Some however seem to return after a short time.

I'm not that knowledgeable about LCD screens, but are these defective pixels or perhaps dust contaminants on the screen skewing the color?
  (#2) Old
Default 08-12-2009, 03:31 AM

I think displays with small pixels, like a netbook's, are more sensitive to dirt and such.

Try cleaning the LCD. Be careful though, you can't use strong cleaners like you would on a CRT.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 08-15-2009, 04:24 PM

You're right Reflex, the pixel problem was due to dust specks on the LCD screen. I wiped the screen with a microfiber cloth and the pixels are gone (at least until more dust lands.) It looks like my screen is fine.

« Mini 9+Win 7+ GPU weirdness | Bluetooth Dialup Networking Problem »