Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default Geekbench Scores on OSX Consistently Low - 08-07-2009, 07:50 PM

First off, I wanted to thank everyone in the community for all the awesome guides/resources. Really top notch stuff!

So I recently installed OSX on my Mini 9, following mechdrew's excellent DellEFI guide while also adding 2GB of RAM.
Everything went smoothly, and I have been using OSX for the past couple of days no problems.

I've noticed though that video playback (Hulu, YouTube) has been a little choppy at times, so I decided I would benchmark my system using GeekBench. And I've been consistently getting scores of 675 and below.

I know alot of users get 900+ with similar specs (granted I'm running the stock 16GB, waiting for my 32GB Runcore)

Any ideas why my system would be benchmarking so slow? RAM issues? Improper install of OSX?

Full benchmark report here:

Here's screencap of the benchmark for reference:
  (#2) Old
Default Geekbench comparison - 08-11-2009, 04:00 PM

I was interested in this post and decided to try the geekbench software as well. My score was 925. I scored almost 50% higher on everything except Processor Integer Performance.

My setup is identical to the one you listed with the exception of ram; I have the stock 1gb of ram. System information reflects the similarity.

I have 2 observations, that might be related?

1) At the base resolution, I'm unable to screen capture the text you did due to the screen size. My assumption is that you're scaling the display? If that's the case, there may be extra load on the processor (or perhaps video hardware) that is choking things up. Pure speculation.

2) As a software developer, I know that a lot of chop-shop developers don't target lighter output platforms unless they're specifically told so. A majority of developers develop software for user experience w/out concern for resources these days. The output is a lack of attention to resources on the level that may be required for smaller systems.

What i'm getting at is that, it may not be as simple as identifying a point of failure. It could simply be that (flash?) developers are targeting the big systems, and the inherent sloppy code that gets in ends up dragging.

I probably sound like a jerk, but it's an unfortunate possibility.

Also: xkcd - A Webcomic - Supported Features
  (#3) Old
Default 08-14-2009, 10:39 PM

if your dsdt is corrupt or missing, it could also cause this lack in performance..

Also, ensure that you are using DellEFI 1.1 or 1.2a5, the earlier versions had performance issues.

Cherry Red Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 0.3 MP Webcam
BIOS A06 | 10.6.8
  (#4) Old
Default 08-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys!
So I did a fresh install with a 10.5.6 disk (used a 10.5.1 before) with my new Runcore and ran GeekBench again and I'm now hitting the proper scores.

I think alot of the score has to do with how hot the machine is running on the Mini 9...

Thanks guys!
  (#5) Old
Default 08-27-2009, 01:51 PM

To revisit:

I concur with the good doctor's dsdt assessment. My ssd was the standard one, with all it's flawed glory.

As an fun note, the score went up to just barely under 1k with more ram. I'm not sure how the tests are weighted. I suspect it's within the margin of error.

this stuff is fun.

« Dell Mini 9 Power Button Broken | Mini 9 Connectivity Issues »