Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Sending A90 in for repair: what can I expect? - 08-06-2009, 09:48 PM

I have two relatively new Vostro A90s: 8gb & 16gb SSD. The 16gb SSD unit was randomly locking up from the get-go. Was doing it with XP & OSX. Initially, I thought it had to do with the Crucial 2gb ram stick. Under OSX, the system would randomly freeze completely, without any error msgs. Under XP, it was less frequent, but would still completely lock up. No bsod or event log.

Went through reinstalling OSX weekly but today I've finally determined it was a problem with the laptop. I swapped SSDs between the two and it froze on me after 10 mins of use. Laptop does not feel like it's overheating.

I chatted with Dell online and they are shipping me a box to send the unit back to replace the motherboard. Has anyone else gone through this with Dell (US)? What's the typical turnaround time? The things I'm afraid would be if they scratch up the chassis or mess up my screen.

Do I need to remove OSX off the drive and install ubuntu back on? I plan on swapping out the us-int'l kb that I currently have on there.

(#2) Old
Default 08-19-2009, 03:12 AM

just send it in without the harddrive and take a chill pill.
why would you be concerned if DELL scratches the chassis or mess up the screen when it is in DELL for warranty service?
if your car is at the dealership for warranty service and they scratch something or mess up your windshield, would you be afraid or do something about it? man up maaaaaan!

« Bluetooth Dialup Networking Problem | Battery dead and AC adapter doesn't work »