Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default How to boot from external hard drive? - 07-22-2009, 04:16 AM

I have a Samsung Internal Hard Drive that I connected to a makeshift adapter to make it a usb external. I know that the Drive works because I tested it on my desktop.

When I try to boot from the drive on my Dell Mini 9 However, it doesn't recognize that there is an external hard drive attached. I have enabled legacy usb and it doesn't help.

The story is basically that I had Windows 7 Build 7077 on it which expired and now I am trying to install RC1, so I do not have an operating system on it right now so I can't test the dvd drive inside the OS.

I am trying to use a dvd drive because I have already tried booting from USB. The only time that the mini 9 recognizes that the flash drive is bootable is when it has windows 7 on it. The install always fails however, and it doesn't recognize the flash drive as bootable when it has ubuntu.

I don't care which method works, so if anybody has any solutions for either getting the Mini 9 to boot ubuntu from a flash drive or boot from the dvd drive, it would be greatly appreciated.

« Bluetooth GPS receiver | Display backlight dead? »