Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#11) Old
Default Re: How do I speed up my computer - 10-11-2008, 01:36 PM

as posted before, use the CCleaner portable version to clean it up as much as possible

as well , this guy give some really good tips on which services u can cleary turn off on ur XP ... windows_xp

my only comment about this guys tips is that the telephony service is needed if you run a 3G mobile broadband USB dongle (like I do)
  (#12) Old
Default Re: How do I speed up my computer - 10-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Here's a white paper that might be helpful: ... winxp.mspx

Fast System Startup for PCs Running Windows XP

This download white paper describes issues and solutions for achieving fast system start up on PC systems running the Microsoft Windows XP operating system.

Customer research has shown that one of the most frequently requested features that users want from their PCs is fast system startup, whether from cold boot or when resuming from standby or hibernation. The Windows development team at Microsoft has taken bold steps in making quickly available PCs a reality with the release of the Windows XP operating system.

This paper provides guidelines for system manufacturers to improve boot and resume times for new PCs. This paper also briefly summarizes several of the changes in Windows XP that promote quick system availability.

Black Mini 9 - Runcore 64 SSD - 2GB Ram - 1.3 Cam - BT - Windows 7
  (#13) Old
Send a message via ICQ to mschoolbus Send a message via AIM to mschoolbus Send a message via MSN to mschoolbus Send a message via Yahoo to mschoolbus
Default Re: How do I speed up my computer - 10-14-2008, 11:26 PM

The easiest way to speed up your mini9 would be to remove linux and install Ubuntu.

In Ubuntu go to System > Administration > Services. Disable what you don't need or aren't using at the time, like Printing, etc. To re-enable, go to the same place and re-check the box.

Regarding Windoze, do what others have said. Eliminate any process you don't need. Virus software extremely hinders your performance.

Also look into overclocking

If you list things you own in your signature, you are retarded.
  (#14) Old
Default Re: How do I speed up my computer - 10-21-2008, 01:29 AM

Check out

There are a lot of registry settings you can change to speed up windows. Here are a few registry tweaks that should definately show some speed improvements and will prolong the life of the SSD:
Disable 8.3 file names (reduces disk writes)
Disable NTFS Last Access Time (reduces disk writes)
Disable prefetch (frees up RAM)
Disable hibernation (frees up disk space)
DIsable loading AVI file properties (CPU usage can spike to 100% and use up a lot of memory when you click on an AVI file or browse a directory with AVI files in it)
Use 16-bit graphics instead of 32-bit
Disable Paging Executive (reduces disk writes, but uses more memory)

Run MSCONFIG and remove any applications (on the Startup tab) that don't need to be running all the time (these are started when the Windows boots)......USE LOTS OF CAUTION HERE...make sure you know which application you are disabling.
  (#15) Old
Expert Member
Default Re: How do I speed up my computer - 10-21-2008, 02:24 PM

It looks like Fat32 might actually be better for our SSDs based on some of the benchmarks coming out.

I did a complete re-install formatted Fat32, and my system appears to run smoother.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#16) Old
Default Re: How do I speed up my computer - 11-09-2008, 06:31 PM

I found that my Mini was slow to boot (or do much else, frankly) and guessed that it might be due to the appallingly slow disk write speed. (The disk is blindingly fast for reads and the CPU meter rarely showed activity, which together eliminate a lot of usual causes.) I turned off 8.3 name generation and NTFS last access time tracking and the system both boots faster and feels much more responsive now.

fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 1
fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

(#17) Old
Default Re: How do I speed up my computer - 11-12-2008, 09:03 PM

To All,

just received my 2nd Mini. It's a 4GB SSD/512MB RAM version. Man it is slow!! (compared to the 16GB SSD/2GB RAM configuration).

Even with most tweaks to XP, it's going to need more RAM!

How much of a difference in performance between the 4GB and 16GB SSDs?

Dell Mini Inspiron 9 (910) Obsidian Black, A05 BIOS, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD, Bluetooth 2.0, 1.3MP WebCam, OSX 10.6.1 Snow Leopard

« Mini/XP Startup Sequence messed | 2 Mini 9's, 2 RMA's »