Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Default NTSC/PAL swap? - 07-13-2009, 04:31 AM

Sooo I made a deal a while back for a webcam, bezel, and the display cable a while back to add the webcam to my mini. However, after following the tutorial to the letter several times, I couldn't get the display to come on. After discussing this with a coworker the other day, somewhere it came up that the original owner was from the UK, and the display cable may be made to work with a PAL signal, and my US mini is probably set up for NTSC. So my question is, am I right? And if so, can I switch the signal over on my mini so I can try to use the new display cable and camera? Thanks!

Mini 9 -- 16GB/1GB/OS X
  (#2) Old
Default 07-13-2009, 04:47 AM

You are saying the display does not work when the new cable is used, but with the original cable it is fine? Sounds like an issue with the cable itself. There are no differences between the cables from different countries.

The easiest way to make what you have work (assuming the cable is bad) is to rip it apart and separate the 4 webcam wires from the rest of the harness (there will be no connections within the harness). Lay it in your mini alongside your original video cable and voila!
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 07-13-2009, 04:53 AM

A webcam is a webcam since it delivers digital data.

NTSC, PAL, and SECAM are analog broadcast standards and deal with delivering a signal to a TV.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old
Default 07-14-2009, 07:03 AM

Okay, thanks for the help guys!! I'm willing to rip it apart as it is just sitting in a drawer otherwise. I'll give it a try when I have a few minutes and post
up an update.

Mini 9 -- 16GB/1GB/OS X

« Windows XP, Firefox -- minor freezing issues | itunes movies do not play on mini 9 »