Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old
Thumbs up Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty on Dell A90 - some fixes - 07-05-2009, 09:13 PM

I'm running ubunto 9.04 (Jaunty) on my Dell A90 netbook and am very happy with it. But it took a number of fixes to get it working right. Thought I'd post some links here to save someone else looking for these fixes.

No sound out of the Dell A90 speakers or headphones. That is easily fixed by adding a line of code to alsa-base.conf as described here:

But a big sound problem remains. I get a "skip" every 10 seconds or so on music and video playback. The skip is caused by a poor implementation of pulseaudio. You need to disable (not delete) pulseaudio and use alsa instead. The instructions at this link worked for me. My sound is now skip free.

Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty – Keeping the beast Pulseaudio at bay « Tux’s idyllic life.

You can install aircraft-manager to turn off wireless and bluetooth, but the readily available version of aircraft manager fails to disable wireless completely. Network manager keeps trying to reconnect when the radios are off. The fix is to install the updated/fixed version of aircraft-manager at either of these links:

Thanks to the people who put a lot of work into developing these fixes.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-05-2009, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the link to the updated Aircraft Manager! I was trying to figure out how to disable the BT on my 10v and had forgotten all about this cool utility!

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
  (#3) Old
Default 07-06-2009, 01:20 AM

Thanks for creating a thread that is specific to Ubuntu on A90 tips/tricks/fixes. I wasn't aware of the sound fix until I installed 9.04 of my own A90.

Sticky Request for sure

Mine: Vostro A90, Cherry Red, Ubuntu 10.10 ext4, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, Intel 3945ABG Wireless (yay monitor mode!), A04
Hers: Vostro A90, Pretty Pink, Ubuntu 9.10 ext4, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, A04

a90 sound skip

« Clean XP install won't recognize bluetooth hardware | Mini 9 Problems »