Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default How do use your Mini 9? - 06-25-2009, 03:42 PM

Just curious about how people are actually using this little bundle of joy. I use mine for field checks on digital photos, watching movies or tv shows while spending countless hours waiting in the hospital and checking emails or light surfing at home when my iMac is tied up.
What about you?

Mini 9|OS X 10.5.7|32GB Runcore SSD|2GB RAM|A05 BIOS|DellEFI 1.2a5
  (#2) Old
Default 06-25-2009, 07:02 PM

Mine is nothing more than a expensive toy. Definitely should have done more homework before purchasing. The keyboard drove me nuts (touch typist).

I did scrap Windows XP and loaded Ubuntu on it to see if I like the O/S. Sure seems very peppy running Ubuntu with 2gb ram.
  (#3) Old
Default 06-25-2009, 09:11 PM

I surf the on and off line games, burn movies.....Yep...It is my little toy.....I love it...

On Line gaming addict....

Cherry Red Mini 9..64GB Runcore SSD...2GB Ram....16GB SDHC card, BT...Win XP Home, Logitech mouse
  (#4) Old
Default 06-26-2009, 12:53 AM

This was strictly my toy. Mainly for surfing with wifi. My home, and workplace, as well as my parents has wifi.

Purchased a new computer in March. Debated on a laptop, but since I still like desktops, and the only reason I wanted a laptop was the ability to surf remotely, it was cheaper to purchase a PC and mini, than a laptop, docking station etc.

And here I am
  (#5) Old
Default 06-26-2009, 04:04 AM

I use mine for 90 percent of my computer needs at home. I plop on the couch and can get to my forums/surf/ebay/email/docs etc. It is also ideal for road warrior duties.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#6) Old
Send a message via AIM to weber72 Send a message via Skype™ to weber72
Default 06-26-2009, 05:17 AM

I use mine in lieu of a smartphone, I suppose. I wanted something portable, and a full-fledged computer served my needs better than any smartphone could have. It goes everywhere I go (I bought it because it was small enough to throw into my flight bag and take with me), and I keep track of my schedule and emails on the go. I use it for flight-related activities (checking weather, filing flight plans), business-related activities (keeping track of reservations, typing invoices), and hobby-related activities (amateur radio stuff, some old console emulators).

What a great little machine. I'm glad I got one before they were discontinued.

Dell Mini 9 (Alpine White) -- 16GB SuperTalent SSD -- 2GB Kingston RAM -- 8GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC -- 1.3MP webcam -- Windows 7 RC / Linux Mint 7 RC
  (#7) Old
Default 06-26-2009, 02:58 PM

I use mine for keeping my kid entertanied on flights and car rides.
I backed up our Disney DVD's to ISO's and we watch 'em with VLC.
Aside from that, I use it for web, music, email, testing new software and Hulu.
Great little machine and I'd glad I got one before they stopped production.

Mini 9 | Win 7 RC | 32GB RunCore | 2GB RAM | BT
  (#8) Old
Default 06-27-2009, 02:38 AM

I enjoy using my 9 watching streaming movies from Netflix (on the home wifi). When you enlarge the movie to full screen it's quite a decent size.

Also, like jamrdun, I take it on day trips and weekends with my digital camera for photo downloading, basic editing and reviewing.

Overall, a teriffic machine - even with the stock 8GB SSD and 1GB RAM. At times the keyboard can be challenging, which is my only gripe.
  (#9) Old
Default 06-28-2009, 04:26 AM

I have mine as a tool for my Radio Control vehicles (Heli, Boats, Subs). It has a neoprene sleeve it sits in while in my R/C field box, as a well as a cigarette lighter adapter, so I can charge it at the "field". All the little gadgets I have for my other toys require Windows though, so I have virtualbox running windows XP on a mac os X install.

I also occasionally use it to watch movies and surf the web. (2gb ram, 32gb runcore, mac os X 10.5.7)
  (#10) Old
Default 06-28-2009, 08:39 PM

For those of you who wish the keyboard were better, there's a more standard keyboard available, as discussed in a sticky on this site:

Replacement Keyboard more normal (US-Intl)

« Has anyone put anything in the empty WWAN spot in their mini 9? | Pain in My Neck (Literally) »