Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default 06-29-2009, 05:56 AM

believe it or not - but mine is a fully functional work unit.........connected to an external keyboard and display during the days work running various spreadsheets, work, outlook & our MRP system.

Has 2 gig ram and 64gig runcore ssd - second ssd on order (64gig) for kids unit. Have the internal 3G card through vodafone which keeps me connected to the work email server via VPN and citrix. Runs XP Pro and office 2007 - so far I've had zero issues speed wise it's fine no different to my very first XP Pro laptop back in 2002 (1.2gig mobile CPU with 512meg ram) the only difference was that had a slightly higher res being 1024 x 768.

In my view this is no different to any work laptop - yes it's cheap and has compromises but my backup is a dell M6400 with 8gig ram, T9600 CPU, 1Tb (2x500 7200rpm raid 0 HDD) and an FX3700GPU equal to an 9800GTX card) so if I need a bit more speed it is not a problem.

I love the mini for travel - rip movies (avi's for space) use for entertaiment - and love the battery life. You can't beat 3 hours of use with another 3 using a spare battery, all for the weight of what 2kg all up.
  (#12) Old
Default 07-14-2009, 05:32 PM

Sadly I rarely use mine. It is small, compact and cute but not very functional. I hate the keyboard and the touch pad has sensitivity issues. Also the screen being so small increases the amount of scrolling during web surfing which becomes a pain with the touch pad sensitivity (yes I have tried to adjust the settings).
It feels in between surfing the internet on my phone and using a full size laptop. It is nice for travel because it is small and light weight but at home I use my full size Acer Aspire laptop.

I got the 16GB Windows XP version refurbished from Dell for $285 shipped as a birthday gift.
I upgraded the RAM to 2GB ($21) and use a 16BG SD card ($27) which is hidden in the card reader as a "2nd HD"

I read someways on how to expand firefox to utilize the most out of the screen size so I will be using my mini when I get home tonight.
  (#13) Old
Default 07-14-2009, 06:03 PM

I use the OS X side of mine for casual surfing, email, etc in my garage. The XP side is used for data logging and tuning my 2008 Dodge Charger Daytona via Diablosport software. It's a very nice to have a fairly sturdy SSD-based laptop with a small footprint to log tuning data.
  (#14) Old
Default Daily Driver - 07-15-2009, 05:11 PM

I use mine as my sole PC at home. Once I got it, I sold off my "regular sized" laptop and gave my sons the desktop we had. Basically, I use it for everything.

Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2GB Kingston RAM|32GB RunCore|Bluetooth | 16GB HP SDHC | 1.3mp webcam | Dell 1505 N| OS X 10.5.8
  (#15) Old
Default 07-18-2009, 11:48 PM

Funny, I just finished a DOD network upgrade and used mine for setting up a couple of routers and switches. With a USB2Serial adapter and XP running in a VM it worked flawlessly for the 2 day gig. These little machines are great for this type of work.

I use it for everything else. Nothing like couch surfing or watching stuff from my media server. I just can't wait for the next gen ION to come out. Its the only thing I'll trade my Mini for.

Hers:Pink Mini 9|2GB|8GB SSD|16GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|XP Home
Mine:Black Mini 9|2GB|32GB Runcore|32GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|Kubuntu 10.10
Future Mods 64GB Runcore - BT Headphones
  (#16) Old
Default 07-20-2009, 01:13 AM

I use it as my main system at the moment lol. Definitely need a storage space upgrade so I can install more applications but I definitely want a more desktop system for other stuff (like a Mac Mini...). I like having this one around once I do that, though, so I have a machine on the road (I travel a lot for my job and band) so I can do my photo and video editing and Internet on the road and such.
  (#17) Old
Default 07-20-2009, 04:13 AM

1) I bring it to meetings with me. I am a reporter and I often go to night meetings that run very late, so I am left with minimal time to write a story and send it to my editor before deadline. It saves me a ton of time to either write out my notes and quotes on my Mini instead of copying from handwritten notes, OR if I can partially write some of my story, that's even better. It's lightweight and portable so I just throw it in my purse.

2) My desktop drives me NUTS. There's always a problem of some sort. So I use this little baby to surf the internet looking for answers as to what the hell is going wrong with my stupid desktop. It really helps to be able to check e-mail and look up stuff when my desktop isn't working right.

3) Using the internet from the couch in front of the TV.
  (#18) Old
Default 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Mine is used for my study work as it's so portable I can put it in my work bag and take to work on the bike.

It's also used for:

Web Browsing
Film Viewing

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#19) Old
Default 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM

I use mine for 75% of my web browsing around the house. I have done some work on it, but I normally like to use my desktop, a mac mini, for any real work I do at home.

I'm very pleased with the little machine. I went with the vostro running ubuntu, an OS that is completely new to me. It's been interesting to try, although I'm still trying to figure things out.
  (#20) Old
Default 07-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Do photoshop tutorials via a LCD projector,............use it on the road, to view review images..........fits in my camera bag, extra storage space for images. Anything bigger would be useless may as well use a mac 13" it's my pc when a mac won't do

« Has anyone put anything in the empty WWAN spot in their mini 9? | Pain in My Neck (Literally) »