Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Ghost Image Process - 11-17-2008, 02:06 PM

This weekend I decided I should make a Ghost image of my Mini 9's main SSD partition. My version of Ghost is rather old, and I forgot to bring the version number with me this morning. It runs from a DOS boot diskette. I set the BIOS to boot from USB device first, then I attached my USB diskette drive and a USB HDD. I restarted the system, it booted from the floppy and started Ghost. My problem is it won't recognize the USB HDD for me to select as a destination. I told myself I'll have to prepare another Ghost boot diskette with USB drivers, and I put everything away. Then it occurred to me the diskette drive was a USB device, so it must have drivers already.

So why can't it see the USB HDD from DOS if it can see the USB diskette drive?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Ghost Image Process - 11-17-2008, 11:46 PM

How does this boot disk work? Does it boot to a version of windows that you would then open up ghost and pull an image from the SSD? If so, which I suspect it is since that's how I have done it in the past. You might want to try to open up the disk management utility and see if it see's the HD at all. I have seen it happen a few times for me when I try to use an external HD with a boot disk, the OS see's the device but doesn't assign it a drive letter. Good luck.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Ghost Image Process - 11-18-2008, 04:56 AM

I am using acronis true image 2009. My mini had ubuntu on it. I erased that and installed xp pro. Well I made an image of that and installed Apple OSX on it just to play with. Well then I made an image of that and now can load either or depending on what I am gone to do. I think you can download it free to try.

« Installing Office 2007 from another computer | Windows or Ubuntu... hmmmmm »