Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Dell Mini 9 - Vodafone Questions - 11-16-2008, 08:06 PM

Hi all,

I am really interested in getting the Dell Mini 9 from Vodafone. Before i do so i have a couple of questions for the good folk here.

1) How strong is the 3g signal of the Mini compared to regular phone 3g signal. I have a nokia phone with a vodafone 3g sim and get no 3g reception when i am in my house but get full bars when i am outside, according to vodafone i am in a strong 3g area.

Obviously the mini has a larger aerial/antenna than a phone so is it reasonable to expect i will get a strong(er) signal.
Also what type of speed/signal do you guys get when using the vodafone 3g network.

2) If it turns out i don't get a 3g signal and i am not happy with the strength/speed of the 3g can i return the mini and cancel my contract. I am aware of a 14 day cooling of period for phones does this apply to the mini too?

I would appreciate any feedback as i want to get the mini but i do not want to get stuck with a service which i can not use.

I await your replies.
Thanking you in advance.

(#2) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 - Vodafone Questions - 11-16-2008, 08:17 PM

I can only answer the first question since I know nothing of returns and cooling off periods.

As far as reception goes, I have similar problems in my house with 3G signal, and there is no improvement with the Dell Mini. The reception is equivalent to a good phone. It really irks me that Vodafone pitch good reception areas when that is clearly not the case - having said that there are many variables in the house that can affect it. If I go up to the top floor I get good reception, and if I walk to the end of the street also get good reception. I have tried repeaters and all sorts in the house to improve it, but sadly they just are not as advertised in my experience - not forgetting that I am in Central London!!!

Having said that, the built in 3G/GPRS connection is so useful, nothing sticks out, no usb dongles, and speed of connection is really fast to get online if you use the Windows DialUp Connection, instead of the Vodafone Mobile Connect software - only drawback with that is that it doesn't monitor your usage without the Voda Software.

Vodafone Dell Mini, Black, Windows 7 , 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD, HSDPA modem, BT, 1.3 MP Webcam
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 - Vodafone Questions - 11-17-2008, 11:51 AM

mines pretty good when compared to my 3g phone in central london. in a low signal area its slightly better, but i usually switch to wifi as poor signal = home!

slightly ot - how do you set up the voda conn without their software? I've installed xp pro (no nlite shenanigans as had too much fun with that on my 4gb eee!) and it would be handy to avoid installing the voda s/w.
  (#4) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 - Vodafone Questions - 11-17-2008, 02:10 PM

It switches to GPRS if there is no 3g connection available, so you'll often have a way to get online..

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 - Vodafone Questions - 11-17-2008, 06:38 PM

The Vodafone functionality of the Dell Mini is excellent.

It finds the signal quickly and you don't have dongles hanging out of the phone.

Only problem with the Vodafone Dell is the 8Gb SSD. It could do with a 16gb SSD

Dell Mini 9: Black, WinXP, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD, Vodafone 3G Built in (This is cool). 250GB USB HDD, 4GB SD Card. ITunes, Office 2007, Blackberry Desktop software.

« Folder C:\dell\drivers Question | Control Wireless & Bluetooth with Commandline »