Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Is it possible to play video on the mini 9? - 06-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Have had my Mini 9 for a month now with Ubunto 8gb ssd, 2 gb ram, I have had no luck playing youtube or hula videos. Have read all kinds of conflicting reports some can play some can't. I am willing to switch to XP or 7 and add a larger ssd if the end result means I can watch video on here. At present it just hangs, freezes plays a little bit very frustrating. Would love to hear a concrete proof from folks who have or have not solved the video ? and maybe offer me some advice or direction.
  (#2) Old
Default 06-06-2009, 08:15 PM

i just watched a video on youtube. I was able to watch the regular quality video but when I tried the HD version it was choppy and not watchable. I am running osx with 2GB crucial ram and 64gb runcore ssd.
  (#3) Old
Default 06-06-2009, 08:36 PM

Your question needs more qualification. The Mini 9 can certainly play locally sourced video files (AVI, MP4, etc.) It seems to have trouble streaming Flash video in some cases.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old
Default more qualification - 06-06-2009, 10:49 PM

now I tried to play Hutchyx video, audio seems to play fine, video starts then just freezes. Don't know why it would play fine for him and not me. I really just want to be able to play youtube and hula. Are my problems because I'm using Ubunto or because I only have 8gb ssd. I would upgrade and can switch OS if I know that fixes my problem. Haven't figured the common thread as to why some folks can watch youtube on Mini 9 with no chop or freeze and some can't?
  (#5) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 12:55 AM

The main problem is that flash video must be decoded by the cPU, and the Atom doesn't have enough to play videos through flash.
  (#6) Old
Default cpu weak link - 06-07-2009, 01:17 AM

I have heard that the Atom processor is the weak link, but why do some folks with Mini 9's say they can play videos such as Youtube fine, while others, like me can't. Since it would be nice to be able to watch these videos, I just wish I could get a better grasp on those who are having good luck viewing the videos, be it having the right operating system, big enough ssd etc. Has to be a logical reason why it works for some... still puzzled... anyone who can solve my problem has my deepest and life long respect
  (#7) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 02:45 AM

I use a Firefox extension to download YouTube videos. Then I play them in a regular video player, where they play perfectly.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#8) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 03:00 AM

interesting, went to youtube with firefox, clicked video- played fine, switched to hi choppy. i figured it was my not so fast verizon connection....maybe not....
  (#9) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 03:13 AM

I can play standard You Tube clips just fine.

(#10) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 03:30 AM

as a new mini9 owner I was worried about this...but i have to say with 9.04 NBR I havent had an issue. I dont think I have done anything special (have VLC and mplayer with their plugins installed if that matters), but ive been watching hulu and youtube all day! (woo broken down car) Hell. I can even watch clips on Hulu in the higher def than normal...although full epis will lag a bit through.

(2gbs of ram and a runcore under the hood)

choppy video, mini 9, video problems

« Temperature monitoring program for windows? | Faulty display fresh out of the box :( »