Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 05:33 AM

yeah, regular you tube worked great, i wonder why hi def caused problems. i think its more likely to be verizons slow connection, though now im wondering.
  (#12) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 01:20 PM

The HD is more likely to be an issue with Flash decoding of more data.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#13) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 01:52 PM

^aww....thank you....
  (#14) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 02:35 PM

I'm running a mini 9 with 2GB memory, 16GB STEC SSD with plenty of free space and XP PRO SP3, connecting via WIFI to verizon DSL. It has no trouble playing regular def youtube videos at all. I haven't tried the HD ones.
  (#15) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 03:32 PM

I've had no problems watching video on Once in a while I pause it to let the buffer fill up, but it plays fine.

Dell mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OS X (10.6.7)
  (#16) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 10:57 PM

Those of you having trouble playing standard definition youtube videos, it may be related to poor heatsink connection. Someone reported their mini was having difficulty playing videos and they found that the the heaksink pads weren't positioned correctly. This would cause the videochip to downclock. As the Ion shows, it's the videochip and not the CPU that is holding back video performance in netbooks.

Try speedfan to see what your temps are running
My next thought would be your internet speed (ie. can your mini play videos when you're on your school/work network, can the other computers on your network play videos)
  (#17) Old
Default 06-08-2009, 05:25 AM

Hey guys, just wanted to add my two cents as well.

I have been encoding H264 MP4 files for VLC Media Player at a resolution of 720x480 and my mini has been eating them up! Near DVD quality is maintained from the rips thanks to a great program called Handbrake (freeware).

I have never been more excited to backup my DVDs to an outstanding picture at around 700MBs still. Also, the audio can be re-encoded to Dolby Pro Logic II at a lower bitrate!

Check it out!

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#18) Old
Default 06-08-2009, 02:17 PM

for what its worth, i have had no problems playing video files on my mini9 (4 gig SSD, ubuntu, 2 gig ram) -- and no issues with youtube (reg quality) and have had some minor annoyances with hulu but nothing that would keep me from using it again
  (#19) Old
Default 06-08-2009, 09:18 PM

When i got mine I ordered it with Ubuntu. I had a lot of problems playing video files and such, but Flash files weren't an issue. But I needed a Mac system so I converted it to Mac OS X and have had absolutely zero issues with videos except for, say, watching HD videos on YouTube.

EDIT: I haven't done anything as video intensive as, say, iMovie, but I don't even know how much of the system's resources iMovie uses in the process of making a movie so I don't know. I have the 2Ghz Atom and 1 gig of RAM. If I run into any memory issues I'll upgrade and see what happens. Other than that... I noticed that mini PCIe card on the front page but is it even possible to put that thing in the Mini 9 anywhere? To my knowledge the PCIe slots are occupied with a wireless card and SSD, and nothing else allowed, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a n00b to the Mini 9 world.
  (#20) Old
Default 06-08-2009, 09:24 PM

I seem to bring the Mini to it's knees when playing MKV files on the OSX version of VLC. This happens w/ videos over 1.2GB.

Audio and video get WAY out of sync.

choppy video, mini 9, video problems

« Temperature monitoring program for windows? | Faulty display fresh out of the box :( »