Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Anyone else actually LIKE the 9" form factor? - 05-24-2009, 10:01 AM

I have had my mini 9 almost since launch and am really still liking it very much.

I've been reading on here that it seems like Dell (and possibly other netbook manufacturers) are gravitating towards a 10" size for their netbooks.

Personally speaking this makes me even more glad that I acted early and got the Mini 9, I prefer a smaller model.

I have to admit that the designers of the Mini 9 could have used the space they had a bit better, the keyboard could have been a bit larger even within the 9" size. But that said, I am a 6'2" guy with large hands even for my size, and typing on the Mini 9 is a breeze. I prepare and edit documents on it fine. I haven't put myself to the test by typing on it for hours on end (I have a desktop for that kind of intense work, in any case) but I've not experienced any pain or annoyance from the small keyboard, and I can touch type on it almost as fast as a regular keyboard.

The size is useful for taking up less space in my bag, less space on the table during meetings, less space on my desk, fits easier onto small tables on train travel, less cumbersome in my lap, etc etc.

To me the 9" size is a real sweet spot and I wonder if anyone else will mourn its passing (if that is what will eventually happen)

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#2) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 10:05 AM

I too like the smaller form factor, though it should be possible, with a bit of effort and possibly added cost, to put a 10" screen and larger keyboard in a package no larger than the Mini 9. I don't want it to get any bigger.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 11:41 AM

I like the size but the keyboard is real problem for me. I am looking at one of the 10". Another problem is the hard drive. I would like to use it as a media machine.
  (#4) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 12:37 PM

I love the 9's form factor. I do think I'm going for a keyboard swap to the US/International keyboard to get more of the keys in the right place.

The only way I'd consider a 10" net book is if it was really really close to the 9's physical dimensions and could still be had with an SSD. And the ability to load OS X on it would be a major plus too.
  (#5) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 01:35 PM

Love the mini 9 for both its size & weight. Looked at other brands but most are using non-SSD drives, which was a negative for me. If I'm going to have a netbook that I'm taking everywhere I go, the last thing I need to worry about is a drive that could fail due to bouncing around (I know that's rare, but it still happens).

Wouldn't even think of getting anything larger because why bother - I wanted something as compact as possible and still highly usable and visible, screen-wise. Top it off with a weight that can't be beat - it's barely noticeable when I'm carrying it around.

If I want something larger, I stick with a regular notebook.
  (#6) Old
Send a message via AIM to KimChee
Default 05-24-2009, 02:21 PM

The form factor is the perfect balance of size, weight, and functionality. I used to own an Eee, the 7" screen and keyboard were a little too small.

Dell Mini 9 8gb Obsidian Black XP SP3 Performance Edition..more to come..
UMPC: Fujitsu Lifebook 1120 Touchscreen, ext battery
PPC: Dell Axim X51v Lenny's wm 6.5 Alpha 2 Innopocket Mag Case, Dell Axim X30 624 mhz,
Smartphone: Nokia E61
  (#7) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 02:50 PM

I was actually surprised how small it was when it finally arrived. I'm also a big 6'1 guy, if i fan my hand out over the keyboard the tips of my thumb and pinky reach either side of the mini. From just 2 days of setting up os's on it my right hand has started to cramp up, so i went out yesterday and got a bluetooth mouse to relieve the strain.

I prefer the look of edge to edge keyboards on other netbooks, and i think the mini could have benefited from a slightly larger keyboard. Mostly the apostrophe/quote placement is the only thing i really have a problem with. I'm just glad they didn't make the keyboard larger at the expense of moving the mouse buttons to the sides of the touchpad.

Overall extremely happy, an amazing little machine. If i was going to go any bigger than this though i'd probably just move up to an xps 13", Which is what i was originally drooling over. But when the mini/a90 popped up for $200 I couldn't pass it up.
  (#8) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 04:09 AM

Yup - i want the portability over the sceen size. I wish it was 1300X768, but the portability of the 9 makes it. I have a 17" notebook for real work, the mini is for play and works perfectly. I think the 10" would impede the usability some

Mini 9: Black, WinXP, 2GB GSkill RAM, 16GB STEC SSD, Intel 5300 a/b/g/n, BlueTooth, 8 cell battery (11hr runtime)
  (#9) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 04:58 AM

For me, the external size, weight, and completely lack of rotating parts are what matters. If that could include a larger screen, keyboard and/or SSD, so much the better - as long as the price doesn't rocket.

I especially do not want more weight or rotating moving parts (drive/fan). A slight increase in size, or a change in proportions would be ok though.

I also don't want less than the already limiting 600 vertical pixels. The width, and small screen I can deal with, but anything less than 768 vertical pixels is, sadly, limiting because too many things are written to expect 1024x768 as a minimum, so going below 600 just makes matters worse.

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#10) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 06:02 AM

Yup, the form factor is what made me go for the A90 over the Asus 1000HE - I really wanted light and also a SSD, and after handling a co-worker's new 1000HE I decided that it was bigger and heavier than I wanted. I have a small handprint so the keyboard has been OK although I am still getting used to having the ' in a different spot - I'm liking the machine a lot though!

Vostro A90 - Windows 7 Home Premium, 32GB Super Talent SSD (GFDL), 2GB G.SKILL RAM, 8 cell 5200 mAh Better Power battery, 0.3MP webcam, Bluetooth

« iPod and Ubuntu 8.04 | pidgin & msn »