Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 06:43 AM

I was debating getting the 10v, but I'm very happy I stuck with the 9. It's just small enough to remain functional and it's highly portable, which is what I was looking for.
  (#12) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 07:55 AM

I ordered my Mini 9 basically the moment it came out. I got in on the order a laptop get one for $100 deal and it was some of the best money I have spent. I have seen quite a few of the other popular netbooks and the size and durability of the Mini are awesome. It only makes sense to me to have a netbook with an SSD as it is incredibly more durable than a spinning HDD.

I take my Mini 9 with me everywhere and hope it lasts for a long time.
  (#13) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 12:32 PM

Main reason I got the Mini9 over all the other netbooks out there was because of the size & features it offered. I personally prefer it was even smaller & looking at all the bezel space around the screen I wish it was.
  (#14) Old
Super Moderator
Default 05-25-2009, 12:36 PM

I love the Mini 9, I really do. The ONLY thing that I wish they would have done is the same thing they did with the Mini 10 - EDGE to EDGE keyboard. I can live with anything/everything else that might annoy me about the Mini 9. I bought the Mini 9 for it's size.

That said, I'm starting to run into issues running OS X on it. The resolution just ain't there now that I'm starting to play with some of the photography apps. Doh.. Might have to try to accelerate my purchase of a Macbook now. Or find something that I like in Windows that is cheap/free.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#15) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 01:02 PM

im a new owner to the mini9, i have a s101 before it.
im still a bit mixed between the two, i prefer the size/weight/dimension/kb of the s101, its not that much bigger than the 9. Thinner too, and to be picky the build quality/feel.

but then again im not comparing apples with apples, different price points and different purposes.

for a 9" the mini9 rocks, love it.
however if the s101 could run osx....
  (#16) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 11:46 PM

I like the small size and the small price and the cheap SSD replacements.
The screen is fine. The keyboard a little challenging.

For me this is mainly a backup, and when I'm using it as such I can plug it into a big monitor and plug in a keyboard and mouse and it works just like a desktop. In this configuration, for most uses it's perfectly adequate.
  (#17) Old
Default 05-26-2009, 02:01 AM

When the mini9 came out the 9" was the "big" netbook size with 7" models still available. The 10s and now 11s are selling well because of the bigger screen and keyboard. But at what point do they get to 13"? I think the 9 is great, but the 10s keyboard is definitely an improvement.
  (#18) Old
Default 05-26-2009, 04:20 AM

I bought the Vostro A90 for the $199 price, and installed OSX. I am amazed by how well the machine runs, and I LOVE the size. I really would not want it smaller - it rocks.

Dell Vostro A90_____A03____OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1
32GB RunCore SSD Drive_____________2GB Crucial RAM
NBI 0.83RC3_________________Deep Sleep : [Disabled]
Bluetooth : [Disabled]__USB Legacy support : [Disabled]
  (#19) Old
Default 05-26-2009, 04:55 PM

it is what it is, it was a cool place to start. get on a 10 inch netbook with a almost fullsize keyboard and you wont wanna go back
  (#20) Old
Default 05-26-2009, 05:12 PM

I really find more pro's to the 9 then the 10. The size is great, the only drawback is a slightly bigger keyboard would be great. perhaps edge to edge as some have suggested. Screen size and resolution is great, so no complaints there. The other big plus in my mind to the 9 is the ease of getting to all the components one may upgrade. One panel, and you can get to the wifi card, wwan, ssd, and RAM. That's a smart design there.

« iPod and Ubuntu 8.04 | pidgin & msn »