Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Angry Vostro A90 arrived today... and the LCD is off-center! - 05-21-2009, 01:53 AM

Ordered on 5/5 and received today. 1gb/16gb with Ubuntu. I plug it in and boot it up for the first time and immediately notice something... the LCD display is very, very off-center. There is ~1/4" of black space on the left edge of the screen between the bezel and where the actual display area begins; on the right edge of the screen the display area is flush with the bezel.

This is obviously a build-quality issue; I know it's a cheap netbook but I expected better from Dell. Am I alone with this issue? I am even more sensitive since I missed out on the 199 and 249 deals and purchased at full (299) price.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-22-2009, 05:07 PM

Due to my work schedule and other issues I haven't had time to do more than verify my A90 boots and give it a good once over. I'll have to check my lcd when I do my serious fiddling this weekend, but I was disapointed with the overall cosmetic build quality. The keyboard bezel has a small gouge by the backspace key, and there are many areas where the plastic is lightly scuffed. I thought it was grease at first, but it doesn't come off. The bezel around the lcd has some rough edges, as well. Also, the battery feels really loose when it's plugged in. Now this is my first Dell, so I don't really know if this is standard for the brand or not. The only comparison I have is my wife's refurbished Asus 900a, which came with a few faint scratches on the outer lid but was otherwise perfect, and which has a very snug fitting battery.

The machine will certainly do the job I need it to do, and my wife always says I'm too picky, but I like to keep things in as good condition as I can, and I hate when they start out already messed up.

« Disable unnecessary services... | Mini 9, Windows 7 - ooooohhhhh! »