Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Buying Dell Mini 9 on Ebay......Refurbished / New? Warranty Issues? - 05-19-2009, 09:56 PM

I see a bunch of Mini 9 units on Ebay, some being sold as Certified Refurbished, and some sold as "New in Box".

Anyone here have any good or bad experiences to share?

Some vendors on Ebay claim that the new and refurb units have full Dell this true?

If so, how does Dell know when the warranty period begins? Is there a warranty registration when you first boot up the unit?

Thanks, and appreciate your comments!

(#2) Old
Default 05-19-2009, 11:11 PM

Dell goes by the "Service Tag", an alphanumeric string on a sticker and flashed into the BIOS. It gets recorded when the unit is built. There is typically no registration on boot, though I don't know exactly how it works for items bought at retail.

In any event, I would be very skeptical about claims of full warranties for products not sold by Dell or an authorized retailer.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 05-20-2009, 02:52 AM

Warranty and ownership of dell computers is fully transferable.

Computers bought from retail have to be registered with Dell to reflect the correct warranty period since the item may have been sitting on the retailers shelf for some time.

Dell - Register Your Product
  (#4) Old
Default 05-20-2009, 09:15 AM

I bought a UK Mini 9 with a 3 year warranty off eBay - I just had to fill in a form on the Dell website to transfer ownership to myself. The warranty had started a couple of months earlier when the original purchaser had bought the Mini 9 from Dell. A week later I got an e-mail from Dell confirming the ownership details had been changed to myself.

Once you get the Mini 9 you can go the Dell website and enter the serial number and see when the warranty expires.

- Simon.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230

« Which OS do you prefer? | Soon to be a proud owner of...a Dell Mini 9 »