Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Which operating system is the best? - 05-17-2009, 08:19 PM

I actually have a Mini 9 with 32gb SSD, 1gb RAM. My primary use is surfing internet, listen to music, playing some old games if possible and when I have the inspiration write something. What is the best OS?
I list something I would take in consideration for the choice:
performance(boot, shutdown)
reliability (backup)
simplicity of maintenaince (eg. on OSX every time Apple releases an update I have to follow an exact procedure to upgrade, installation of the drivers)

Thanks to anyone can help me!

Dell Mini 9 Black with Bluetooth and Webcam - 32GB Super Talent - 2GB RAM
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Default 05-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Really, it's preferential. Personally, at the moment, I think OS X is the best, as it seems to be the smoothest running. However, some prefer Windows, others prefer Linux. Really, it's entirely up to you.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old
Send a message via ICQ to zeos Send a message via AIM to zeos
Default 05-17-2009, 08:50 PM

short answer: there is absolutely no best os.

like anguish said it is a very subjective question. personally i like linux because it is free and i am of scottish decent. on the other hand i also think that os x is one of the best *nix distros ever. i don't hate windows and other closed source oses like some open source zealots. i really liked beos even though it was kinda like the long in the tooth mac classic. i liked the looks of skyos also but i just absolutely refuse to pay for a beta product.

Fact: Jerry Jeff Walker named his son after Django Fett.

Scooty Puff Jr. suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!
  (#4) Old
Default 05-17-2009, 09:19 PM

Which vehicle is the best? Need to carry kids, probably a mini van. Need to carve up corners with style? Maybe a 2 seater sports car. What do you plan to do with your system? That will help decide what's the best OS for you.
  (#5) Old
Default 05-17-2009, 10:18 PM

Take into account Linux Mint for cleanliness and the "coming soon" Moblin for fast booting time.

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04
  (#6) Old
Default 05-17-2009, 10:50 PM

There is no best, but the worst is Windows 98 ME

 MINI 9 | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | BT | 16GB STEC SSD | OSX 10.6.8 (NBI 2351+Legacy Kernel+SleepEnabler)
  (#7) Old
Default 05-18-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by dchao View Post
There is no best, but the worst is Windows 98 ME

LOL! I'm probably the one guy in the world who didn't have a problem with ME. However, a Lenovo laptop I bought with Vista was so unusable I was about ready to chuck it in the garbage until I put XP on it. It's now a marvel and a thing of beauty. So my vote for worst OS goes to Vista.

That said: when I got my Mini 9 I had a hard time getting XP installed so I decided to try Ubuntu for a while. I have to say that Every time I try Linux I come a way suitably impressed by the OS. It's an amazing acheivement.

What brings me back to XP, though (which I finally got installed) are two things:

1) I didn't like the font that Linux used on certain web pages (most notably the New York Times). It was difficult to read on the Mini 9's tiny screen and the web page did not fit on the screen all at once. There was still a little scrolling involved. I imagine I could have found a solution to this problem if I tried long enough.

2) I wasn't satisfied with the gaming options. The 1pp shooters I tried were too choppy, very low FPS. Just not as well optimized as I would have liked. Also, I can't live without Age of Empires. After all these years its still a great game with pleasing graphics and enjoyable gameplay. So for me what really sold me on XP was Age of Empires, Unreal Tournament and Half Life. I could easily have lived with Linux if all I wanted to do with the machine was browse the web and work with Open Office (which is excellent, BTW).
  (#8) Old
Default 05-18-2009, 06:16 PM

Well, in my mini's current configuration, bottom of the barrel, 4GB SSD and 512MB RAM and no extras, it feels quicker with Windows XP Pro SP3 on it so far. I tried the default Ubuntu NBR 8.0.4 and 8.0.4 without the NBR stuff and I tried 9.0.4 in both configurations. Neither felt like what I was looking for. . . I'm an IT/Computer Tech and know that in this configuration, my mini sure isn't going to be fast like my beloved white MacBook, but I'm just experimenting.

Obviously I haven't tried OS X yet. Not til I get the spare $$ for the 32GB SSD and 2GB RAM.
And I haven't bothered to see if I can squeeze Win7 onto that tiny drive yet either.
  (#9) Old
Default 05-19-2009, 03:24 PM

I think you should consider windows 7 beta. I have it on my desktop and it's the best Windows OS around. my mini has osx, which is also great.
  (#10) Old
Send a message via AIM to n4s720
Default 05-19-2009, 03:39 PM

I prefer XP, but I also liked Ubuntu when I ran it. I really depends if you want/will need compatibility with other programs in the future.

Ubuntu will fill are you stated needs, but who knows if there's a program or other need that you might want in the future.

Black Mini 9, 16 gig SSD, 1 gig of RAM, 1.3mpx webcam, bluetooth, Windows XP

« How come only 1st page can be viewed?? | Memory for Mini 9? »