Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM

I didn't like Ubuntu 8.04 for various reasons. XP Home ran extremely well on it, and Google Chrome Beta 2 on there was also excellent.

However, I'm currently running OS X on it and have no complaints. Once Chrome is released for the Mac I think I'll be in heaven.
  (#12) Old
Default 05-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jdmop1 View Post
Well, in my mini's current configuration, bottom of the barrel, 4GB SSD and 512MB RAM and no extras, it feels quicker with Windows XP Pro SP3 on it so far. I tried the default Ubuntu NBR 8.0.4 and 8.0.4 without the NBR stuff and I tried 9.0.4 in both configurations. Neither felt like what I was looking for. . . I'm an IT/Computer Tech and know that in this configuration, my mini sure isn't going to be fast like my beloved white MacBook, but I'm just experimenting.

Obviously I haven't tried OS X yet. Not til I get the spare $$ for the 32GB SSD and 2GB RAM.
And I haven't bothered to see if I can squeeze Win7 onto that tiny drive yet either.
You def. can't squeeze Windows 7 onto a 4GB SSD. The installation won't even let you. The requirement for installation is larger than 4GB, unless there's a stripped installation floating around...which I doubt because it's in beta.

I know this from experience because I attempted and had to revert back to Ubuntu.
  (#13) Old
Default 05-19-2009, 06:06 PM

I'm running Windows 7 RC on mine and it works really well. But everyone is right, the decision is based on your needs.
  (#14) Old
Default 05-20-2009, 03:14 AM

My (brand new, second hand bought from auction) 9 comes with XP installed and it's quick to boot (but long to shutdown) is great -- but I'm replacing it with OSX because the software I wanna run is OSX only. So yeah, depends on what you wanna do with your machine.

I think of all the Windows OSes you can get, XP SP3 is probably the best one (haven't tried 7), but there are no longer any updates.

With Mac, you'll need to get new DellEFI's when you update. (or at least that's what's happening when upgrading 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 to 10.5.7).
  (#15) Old
Default 05-21-2009, 12:05 AM

I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.04 and after half a year with the machine, Dell's Ubuntu 8.04 and now Jaunty, I am overly satisfied with its performance. The Dell Mini 9 is my first experience with Linux and I am more than happy. Very easy to use and no annoying background apps to slow the computer down like antivirus and firewall. It does everything I want it to do. And if there's something I can't do, a little bit of googling and searching ubuntuforums would solve the problem. Excellent boot time and very responsive.

The switch was easy for me, there is no must have software for me from Windows that Ubuntu doesn't have. Instead I was able to load up on many excellent free open source software that I can't be without now. What's great is that if I ever want anything, all I need to do is load up Synaptic and download the package I want. No hassling with download, virus, trials, expiration, and renewal. Before, I had the presumption that since these are free software it must be terrible, instead it's the opposite, these are free software that comes from people with passion that have put their own time and effort into it and it's open source so it's constantly being improved, while Windows programs are make-a-buck-quick- type of schemes. The best things in life are truly free.

Overall it has been an excellent experience and refreshing from having used XP for almost a decade. There are a lot of misconceptions about Linux that have kept people from trying. One is that it's a wildhorse that requires a computer geek to tame. Although if you a developer than you can fully utilize this system and do any customization you wish, I also find that it is the easiest and most intuitive OS for beginners like children and grandmas. Second is that it's limited in software and hardware compatibility and you must be prepared to give up some functions. For some that require special software then it might, but for most the free software that comes with it would be more than you'd need, and there are thousand more in the repository. Also it can actually do whatever your Windows computer does. For a while I didn't know I can hook up my HP printer to my computer to print, because everytime I plug it in, I don't see it ask me to install driver. I only found out recently that the driver is built in. It is truly plug and print and...scan, too. No hp software or driver install. I'm sold on Ubuntu, Windows 7 had me tempted, but I probably won't switch back because there will be newer Ubuntu version by then and every 6 months after that. No wonder most Linux users appear to be fanatics that want to convert other. I am now one.
  (#16) Old
Send a message via AIM to Ginsu543
Default 05-21-2009, 08:04 PM

I suppose I am the "have the cake and eat it too" kinda guy. I dual-boot WinXP Pro SP3 and Ubuntu 9.04 because, like cyclist above, I think Ubuntu Linux is a fabulous OS which does almost everything I need it to do right out of the box. In fact, Ubuntu is my default OS. However, I also have WinXP Pro installed because there are a few programs I need to run under Windows.

P.S. I still have the stock 4GB SSD lying around after replacing it with my 64GB Runcore, and I'm tempted to install Moblin on it to see what that's like. Maybe I'll report back here after I've played around with it some.

#1: Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 32 GB Runcore IV | 32 GB Transcend | 1.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A07
#2: Alpine White Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 32 GB Runcore IV | 32 GB Transcend | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A07
Server: Obsidian Black Vostro A90 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 64 GB Runcore | 1.5 TB WD Elements | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A06

« How come only 1st page can be viewed?? | Memory for Mini 9? »