Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Send a message via AIM to zwoop Send a message via MSN to zwoop Send a message via Yahoo to zwoop
Default Performance and HW problems - 05-16-2009, 02:34 AM

A bunch of us over on the MacOSX forum have discussed an issue where the Dell Mini9 slows down dramatically when it's getting warm. Running Geekbench, we were getting performance numbers 2x-5x less than what was expected. It seems that the CPU throttles itself even when it shouldn't.

I returned mine to Dell, and they replaced the motherboard. With Ubuntu, I know consistently get a benchmark number of 1,000. With MacOSX, I get consistent numbers over 900. Before the repairs, I'd get as little as 150-200 sometimes.

I'd definitely recommend running a number of Geekbench runs, and make sure you get consistent results (see expected numbers for Ubuntu and MacOSX above). If you get much less than that (150-500 would be an indicator), I suggest contacting Dell immediately.

-- zwoop
  (#2) Old
Default 05-16-2009, 03:58 AM

Some related threads:

Slowing Down When Warm?!?

For OSX users, you can check out CoolBook. The CPU voltage should be .970V..
  (#3) Old
Default 05-18-2009, 03:39 PM

I responded to a thread in the Mini 9 hardware section, but it looks like this forum is a lot more popular. I am having the same issue that you guys reported. My geekbench scores in OS X would drop by about 300 points after the system warmed up...installed Windows 7 last night and got a score of 600-700 after it was warm, but haven't done a cold test yet with that to compare (the system definitely seemed more sluggish to me after it became warm, however).

I wonder how widespread this problem is. It definitely seems like something that could potentially be affecting a lot of people without them ever realizing it, since it doesn't make the system unusable.

I'd love to turn this thread into a Geekbench score comparison and see what kind of numbers people are getting when cold/warm (after running Hulu on your lap for 20 minutes or so, for instance). Doesn't matter which OS - but if there is a widespread problem here then it would be good for people to know so they can have it addressed. At the moment it looks like I'm going to end up shipping my Mini back to Dell.
  (#4) Old
Default 05-18-2009, 07:17 PM

For windows users that may be exp the same issue use coretemp, and set it to "Show Delta to Tjunction max temp", if it hits zero you have a serious problem, as thats when the CPU will dramatically scale back the multiplier or clock to reduce heat.

I am not sure of how to check the temp on the GMA950, but if that is overheating that could also be causing problems. Reseating the thermal pad on the chipset could help resolve the issue.

« Netbook bag... For $10 shipped. | Is the Mini 9 being discontinued? »