Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 9 osx advice needed - 05-15-2009, 12:36 PM

Hello, I am a complete newbie to installing osx on a "Hackintosh". I have several questions. but before I ask them here is what I need. I have an imac--love it. What I want is a machine that I could travel with and use to sync with omnifocus and sync important files that I need to edit on the road. I want to install Omnifocus and Office 08 (mostly word and excel, I like use the outlining tools in Word heavily)

How well does the Mini 9 work for this purpose?
Is there anywhere that I could find a machine already "done"?
Or a mature stable easy to install software that I can use to install the macos disks that came with my imac?
Or a particular version number that works very well that I can download?

I don't want to spend lots of time hacking as I am a student and have a full time job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-15-2009, 01:06 PM

1) This should really be in the OS X forum
2) Yes, the Mini 9 will work fine for that
3) You will need retail OS X discs, not OS-specific OEM (without some heavy mods that are beyond the scope)
4) See instructions in OS X forum. It's not difficult.
  (#3) Old
Default 05-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Hi, and welcome to the party! In the Mac OS X section of this forum you will find the answers to most of the questions. I am not sure about finding a machine done for you already, but it's possible. There are a few good tutorials here that can walk you through step by step, and most folks that have done it, have said it's taken about 3 hours or so.

Overall the Mini 9 seems to be the machine that's the easiest to "hackintosh"
  (#4) Old
Send a message via AIM to clymans Send a message via Yahoo to clymans
Default 05-15-2009, 03:49 PM

There is a very detailed guide in the OSX forum that walks you through the install pretty much step by step. The only things you need to physcially possess to have the easiest time of it are your Mini9, a RETAIL copy of OSX, two USB flash drives, and computers running OSX and windows already.

You can do it with only your iMac, but having a windows box makes it a little easier according to the instructions. I think you can also do the whole install with only a windows machine to do the prep work, too.

I have seen two people in the last two months or so offering their Mini9s up for sale in that forum with OSX already installed. Just keep an eye out in there if that is the route you wish to go.

The mini9 runs OSX like a champ. If you follow the install instructions, all hardware in the Mini 9 works just fine in OSX. Speeds are very good and comparable or better than Windows XP and Windows 7 Beta. I haven't loaded the Windows 7 RC on my mini yet to see how it runs.

You need to have the retail version of the OSX disks to do the install. From my reading, it appears the ones that come with your iMac are locked to that type of machine and have to be hacked to allow install on another system. Since you need a license for the OS on your mini anyhow, just buy a retail disk and keep it simple. Avoid Piracy, pay for your OS, <insert additional anti-piracy comments here>.

You can use services like dropbox, and evernote to do file syncs between the machines if you want to use a service. I'm sure there are loads of installable options if you want to do it that way, too.

In conclusion, the best advice I can give is to read through the OSX forum as much as you can. The participation level there is amazing and everyone is always willing to help out when they can.

Good luck!

Black Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.5.7 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | 16 GB Class 6 SDHC | A05 BIOS | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: ON | Dell EFI 1.1

« Leopard 10.5.7 | UNR Install over a Windows Platform »