Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Backing up Mini9 and SSD Alignment - 05-14-2009, 07:19 PM

I recently backed up my Mac OSX install on my Mini9 so I could get back to tweaking my XP install. After restoring my XP installation I was horrified at how slow my 16GB stock SSD was compared to OSX.

Came across a great thread over at:
Partition alignment importance under Windows XP (32-bit and 64-bit)
Regarding aligning yout SSD partition for huge performance gains. I'm here to tell you the difference was huge for me.

I used my BartPE USB drive to align the partitions with diskpart to 64k (128 sectors) and then restored my backup using DriveImage XML (also on my BartPE USB drive). FYI, I also tried both Ghost11 and Acronis 10 both of which blew out my aligned partition during the restore process. DriveImage XML left my newly aligned partition fully intact. I did have to manually adjust my boot.ini file as I originally had the hidden Dell partition as partition 1 and my data OS partition as partition 2.

Also for those going the BartPE route in order to run diskpart you have to issue the following from the command line:

net start dmserver
net start dmadmin
DriveImage XML - FAQ

Note: This can also be accomplished with a Vista install disc (I tested this with my Dell OEM Vista Business disk). See the walkthrough also at the OCZ forum:
How to setup SSD with aligned partitions

Hope this helps others trying to improve their XP performance.

« Painted my mini | Best Mini 9 apps for web developer »