Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Painted my mini - 05-13-2009, 09:10 PM

After reading about a coupe of other people painting their minis I thought I'd do the same. I was also getting rather annoyed by the finger prints on the lid.

Sense I was running OSX on it and after seeing others put Apple stickers over the dell emblem I figured I’d do something along the same lines. I ended up cutting the sticker out and putting it over the dell emblem and painted over it. While I was at it, I also painted all of the silver parts… other than the touch pad. Once I got all of the paint work done I removed the sticker and clear coated everything.

The color I used is Hammered Copper by Rustoleum.

Here is a quick picture of the paint color in sun light (I used clear tape over the LEDs, it was too hard to cut cleanly around them with masking tape).

Close up of the apple. This and the rest of the pictures were taken indoors with florescent lighting.

Top of the laptop

Screen surround and palm rest.

The only things I'd do differently are start with a white laptop (so I'd have a white apple showing through) and used a primer. I didn't need a primer for paint adhesion, but to cover the black and silver I have to put more coats of paint on than I would have liked.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Nice work.

I'm leery of paint because of potential chips.
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to KimChee
Default 05-13-2009, 10:37 PM

Wow great work, the clear coat should help protect the paint to some degree..

Dell Mini 9 8gb Obsidian Black XP SP3 Performance Edition..more to come..
UMPC: Fujitsu Lifebook 1120 Touchscreen, ext battery
PPC: Dell Axim X51v Lenny's wm 6.5 Alpha 2 Innopocket Mag Case, Dell Axim X30 624 mhz,
Smartphone: Nokia E61
  (#4) Old
Default 05-14-2009, 01:00 AM

Great job!! The color isn't my favorite, but it looks really good. I'm contemplating painting my palm rest and bezel a matte black, but I don't know if going to all the trouble to black it out and then still having the silver touch pad would be worth it. Guess it would still match the power button and the chrome apple sticker if I went that route.

Did you sand it down first or just paint over the original paint?

Mini 9 -- 16GB/1GB/OS X
  (#5) Old
Default 05-14-2009, 01:07 AM

I love the texture, it looks really well done
  (#6) Old
Default 05-14-2009, 02:48 AM

Great job. I like the color.
It would have cost you $30 extra to start with a white Mini.
  (#7) Old
Default 05-14-2009, 03:00 AM

Nice work! How does it feel? Does it have a tacky feeling to it?

(#8) Old
Default 05-14-2009, 03:38 AM

Krylon Fusion paint, available at Wally World, is great for painting plastics and it has the bonding agents to fuse into the plastic. Very, very tough paint. I used to use it to paint monitors and mice black way back before you could buy stuff in black.

Google around some of the case mod sites, there is prob alot of tricks that could be done to one.
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator
Default 05-14-2009, 11:26 AM

Not a big fan of the color (personal preference), but that looks fantastic. I'm very interested to hear how well it holds up...especially since I'm itching to get rid of the gray plastic on mine. Not sure I want another fingerprint magnet, so I may look at flat colors or something.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#10) Old
Default 05-14-2009, 01:22 PM

I completely dissembled the mini and then sanded everything I was going to paint with 600 grit sand paper, except the apple. I did a quick test patch of a sanded area and it wasn't quite as clear as I'd like it.

I actually finished painting this about a week ago... and it's already been dropped (not by me). The copper paint didn't chip off, however the factory silver paint did, so I wouldn't worry about your paint job more than you would worry about the factory paint.

The copper paint was a little tacky but the clear coat is not. I found that if I put a light coat of clear on that it actually gave everything a powdery feel to the surface. I sanded lightly and then put a second, heavy coat of clear on everything and it turned out much better, not tacky or powdery and better clarity of the apple.

Krylon does make the same color and finish but Lowes had Rustoleum, and I think the difference in the paint is negligible. They both make a few different colors with this texture, if you like it but not the color.

My goal was definitely accomplished with this. It's no longer looks like everyone else’s mini and I no longer can see finger prints everywhere on it.

« Cleaning the Mini 9 glossy screen | Backing up Mini9 and SSD Alignment »