Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Temps - 05-12-2009, 02:30 AM

I know there are a few posts on this topic already.

Lemme start by saying I love my mini9. I've had it for about a week, and I've been doing more research about programs and hardware. The first couple of days, I got snes9x working great with no problems. I've been monitoring my temps with the gnome computer temperature applet I got through synaptic. Over the last 24 hours or so, my average core temp has gone from about 45C to 65C as I type this. This isn't under load, just surfing the net and answering emails. I've always used it in a comfortable room temp around 76F on a hard flat surface. My temp just jumped down to 52C, but I haven't done anything!!
The keyboard is warm to the touch as is the back. I've never owned a laptop before, and I'm a little nervous about traveling with it.

I played Zelda on my snes emulator under the conditions listed above earlier today for about 10 minutes and my temp shot up to 70C before I freaked and turned off the program and closed the lid. Do you guys think I may have a problem? I have a year warranty, but I'm going out of town and had inteded to use my mini9 to keep track of some music files. I don't wanna cause any unnecessary heat damage.

what do you guys recommend I do?

================================================== ================================

Black Mini9 Ubuntu || 1GB ram (planning on 2 when I get my compy) || 32GB STEC SSD
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Temps - 05-12-2009, 02:51 AM

The CPU should shut down if it gets too hot (around 100C).

And 60C is nothing special. My Atom's never reached 70C, but plenty of other people's have.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Temps - 05-12-2009, 03:50 AM

Intel's laptop processors are designed to handle much higher temps than desktops. 70C will not damage your processor you are well within specs. Now saying that mine generally idles around 43C and the max so far has been 63C.

XPS 13 Ultrabook

« Weird Freezing issues... | End of life »