Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default no sound, wifi after airplane mode [ubuntu] - 05-10-2009, 09:01 PM

Arrived at my destination after some work on the laptop and deactivated airplane mode.

2 interesting problems with my little laptop (which are costing me major $$ in terms of phone charges):

a - I've now got no sound (not even test sounds from system->preferences->sounds, no matter the device chosen.
---Mute is off and sound is up.

b - no wifi. I'm using networkmanager 0.7.0, but cant see any wireless networks.
---Fn-2 seems to toggle only bluetooth, not wifi
---there is no eth1, If I run ifconfig | grep eth, I only see eth0.
---I've already reactivated the broadcom driver in system->admin->hardware drivers.

any suggestions?
  (#2) Old
Default 05-12-2009, 11:21 AM

An update. I've been concentrating on the wireless first (although I did check the hardware diag, and hardware sound is working fine)

I've manually re-enabled eth1 (wifi) (part of which seems to have been disabling the Broadcom driver, part of which is various other terminal config steps).

I can now see the wifi hotspot on the terminal (iwlist eth1 scan) but the automatic tools will not connect:

a. networkmanager - does not seem to see any wireless in left-click. For right click I can configure the network name into the tool, but it never finds it or connects

a. Network status- is automatic. If I uninstall networkmanager, there is no option to put the name of an insecure network in.

All very frustrating as I'll spend as much on telephone as I did on the mini9 by the end of this trip.

One more thing--there is no wired network that I can access here--the hotel is strict about wireless only access....

suggestions? Even some terminal steps to manually associate with access points would be fine until I get back to the states. The mini9 is stock except I added networkmanager.

« End of life | Ways to save space in a mini9 running xp on 8gb SSD? »