Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-09-2009, 03:46 AM

Out of curiosity, what is the coolest thing you've done / experienced with your mini?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-09-2009, 05:03 AM

My father is 67 years old and had just now found the internet truly interesting. Because he is a limited typist as I am, the lack of a great keyboard on a laptop is no real biggie. Anyways he was hogging my moms laptop and she stated that she was having trouble getting him off of her fullsize.

So... I bought him his own Mini 9 and set it up with one of my Family licenses. I sent it as an early surprise Father's day gift.

It arrived yesterday as I was midway on the drive of 135 miles between downtown Tucson and West Phoenix.

Since he was not familiar with the OSX interface at all I needed to show him around his new toy. So out in the middle of desert in nowhere Arizona I pulled off the road and fired up the DIR450 DLINK EVDO router with the Verizon wireless card and took over his computer. While parked out in the middle of the desert in the Gila River Indian Nation I connected to his new Mini by using the LOGMEIN software I had previously installed before shipping it east.

After showing him the ropes of OSX and feeling satisfied he could get around with ease I opened up a video chat on his computer using the remote software and called my own mini. I answered the chat on my side and dropped the remote controI. I just wanted him to appreciate the camera and the flexibility of the Mini 9.

We waved and said goodbye over the phone and I continued up the road to my final destination that is about 3000 miles from my dads house in the Metro Washington D.C area.

It was just too cool when I thought about it as I was driving back to Tucson later in the evening.

I pulled over into a rest area and connected back into his machine without calling him. Because of his unfamiliarity with OSX he did not realize I was connected to his machine while watching him answer his email. It was obvious he had quickly adjusted to his new toy so I dropped off and continued the rest of the way back home to Tucson.

Pulling back onto the Interstate I once again thought "Too Cool... too frickin' cool"

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-10-2009, 04:35 AM

Not hard to do but..

I used my Mini 9 to receive live SSTV image downlink form the Space Station (Space tourist Charles Simonyi) in front of the eyes of my co-workers
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-10-2009, 04:48 AM

Used my Mini 9 as an emergency router at a client using by adding a USB Ethernet adapter while their normal router was being replaced.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-10-2009, 04:51 AM

Definitely the fact that im running OS X, practically natively, on this baby and that I can run Virtual DJ with ease on it.

It is the perfect portable mixer set up which i've only done once so far, but it was Legendary.

Cherry Red Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 0.3 MP Webcam
BIOS A06 | 10.6.8
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-10-2009, 05:12 AM

(#7) Old
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-10-2009, 05:20 AM

I guess I could say something off the wall like "Watched movies with my girlfriend at my wilderness cabin in the mountains....on New Year's.......5 miles from the nearest road.......seventeen below zero outside......"
.........But it wouldn't compete with STiMULi's story.
GREAT story STiMULi!
I guess I'm jealous that my Dad is no longer on this earth to do things like that.
Don't ever take him for granted.

XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#8) Old
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-10-2009, 05:54 AM

Wow, I'm liking some of these stories.

The coolest? Probably turning it into a full-fledged portable arcade/video game machine at work. People were going nuts that I could play 2000 to 3000 games on it. The next was using it to play Street Fighter II via VGA-out to my projector.

The next was showing it off that my programs typically ran faster than most peoples desktop POS's (aka to computer newbies).

Oh and I'm using it to go camping as well! Woo hoo, scary camp movies, here I come!

The next coolest was buying a Windows XP sticker to cover up the Ewwbuntu one. (Sorry Linux fans!)

P.S. My next feat is to turn it into a portable World of Warcraft server...I do have some doubts though..... ;-)

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#9) Old
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-10-2009, 10:18 AM

Zrtom, your comment brought back a bunch of memories. I am curious, does your wilderness cabin have any heat?

I attended Syracuse for my undergraduate degree in the days of IBM 360s and slide rules. A four function Wang calculator was the size of a small secretaries desk. A small computer was an LGP-30 (Google it) and something like the Mini-9 would have been pure science fiction fantasy. One very cold something below zero winter night, a friend of mine and our dates made a chemically fueled spur of the moment decision to spend the evening at his family's rustic cabin on one of the finger lakes. We drove there in a Volkswagen Beetle that only had an excuse for a heater. The cabin had no heat at all. My main memory from over 40 years ago was my date and I being so cold all we did was shiver the night away, fully clothed, under a bunch of blankets, with all thoughts of anything else far from our minds. Comparing that experience with your comment about watching a movie on your Mini in a similar setting is quite a contrast.
  (#10) Old
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-10-2009, 01:08 PM

In the day of pain in the butt cell phones, seeing the Mini running a " Magic Jack " receive a fax on the front deck of my boat usually makes people turn their heads. Being able to talk on a home type phone is a plus without any roaming issues, not to mention the $19.95 a year. ... 50550.html

« HDD Activity Light!! | Obsidian Black or Alpine White? »