Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Super Moderator
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCherry04
In the day of pain in the butt cell phones, seeing the Mini running a " Magic Jack " receive a fax on the front deck of my boat usually makes people turn their heads. Being able to talk on a home type phone is a plus without any roaming issues, not to mention the $19.95 a year. ... 50550.html

MagicJack software seems almost like a virus you can't easily remove and I couldn't deal with the ads shoved down your throat and the stealth phone number tracing but I suppose for the cheap cost for phone calls it just can't be dismissed...

(#12) Old
Default Re: Coolest thing you've done with your mini? - 05-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by RhoXS
Zrtom, your comment brought back a bunch of memories. I am curious, does your wilderness cabin have any heat?

I attended Syracuse for my undergraduate degree in the days of IBM 360s and slide rules.
We might have been at Syracuse nearly the same time. I, too, received my undergraduate degree at Syracuse (as a Stumpie, FEG '79). Small world, ain't it?
Yes, the camp has a wood stove and a Kalamazoo Cook stove, so despite the not-very-seasoned firewood, it was 85 Deg. F inside while the snow howled at seventeen below.
I could have also gone on and on that the Mini was perfect for carrying in the backpack as we snowshoed in.....but we used a snowmobile from the main road. No trail had been broken but we made it! Certainly no cell signal up there and that's fine with me. I was thinking, though, that I probably could get a modem for my Satellite phone and use that to connect the Mini to the outside world.

XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7

« HDD Activity Light!! | Obsidian Black or Alpine White? »