Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Installing Applications on SDHC card / Freeing up hd space - 05-08-2009, 08:37 PM

Hi all,

I just got a Mini 9 with a 8gb SSd and upgraded it to 2gb of RAM. As expected, my harddrive is already mostly full and I'm trying to free up as much space as possible (right now it has less than 1gb of free space) and would appreciate any suggestions.

1) I've already removed all the games and a few other applications I'm not likely to use. Is there anything I can safely delete? This is the first computer I've had that uses Windows, which is making it harder for me to figure out what I can get rid of.

2) I have a 16gb SDHC card for storage that I'd also like to run some applications off of (I don't mind a short delay). It's formatted as FAT32. I don't have any problem storing doccuments and files on it, however I've been unable to install any applications on it, they (Open Office, Adobe, etc) all default to installing onto the SSD and I don't seem to be able to install them on the SDHC card. For Adobe it seemed to give me the choice to choose and install on another drive, but even when I chose the SDHC card to install on (D drive) it still installed onto the SSD. Is there anyway around this? Again, my Windows illiteracy could also be contributing to this problem...

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks very much.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Installing Applications on SDHC card / Freeing up hd space - 05-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Install the Hitachi microdrive filter driver, it will make your removable devices appear as fixed one, and after that, you should be able to install software on it.

Drivers for Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (910)

 MINI 9 | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | BT | 16GB STEC SSD | OSX 10.6.8 (NBI 2351+Legacy Kernel+SleepEnabler)
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Installing Applications on SDHC card / Freeing up hd space - 05-09-2009, 02:35 AM

You can get the portable version of Open Office and put it on the SDHC card. Many apps now have portable versions.

You can turn off hibernation to save space.
Set the paging file to 0 and delete it.
There are a lot of things you can do to tune your system to work better with an 8gb SSD. Try to minimize writing to the SSD.
Create a ram disk and use it for tmp and temp files.
Tell Firefox not to write the cache to disk.
Look around the forum and you will find many other ideas.
Turn off system services that you don't need.

« Is this legal? (and will it work?) | Anyone get their A90 yet? »