Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Windows 7 RC installed - 05-07-2009, 02:50 PM

I have a Mini 9 with 2gb, Runcore 32gb, BT and 1.3 camera. I have been running XP for a while but decided to give the Windows 7RC a try. I have to say I love it, installation went very smoothly, no driver issues (only installed the Dell wireless witch and audio). The machine feels way faster, even my wife asked what I had done as it was much faster.
I was going to go for OSX (now on sale on the For Sale Forum) but I will be sticking with 7.

Just wanted to share my experience

Mini 9 2gb 32gb Runcore, Win 7
Mini 10v N280 2gb 30gb OCZ Vertex, 1024x600, Win7
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 RC installed - 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Lots of discussion in the Windows 7 section of the forum.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 RC installed - 05-07-2009, 03:16 PM

I know, just wanted to post here and share in case people aren't going to thw Windows 7 one

Mini 9 2gb 32gb Runcore, Win 7
Mini 10v N280 2gb 30gb OCZ Vertex, 1024x600, Win7
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 RC installed - 05-07-2009, 05:02 PM

I am actually planning on installing tonight. I have a 64 GB Runcore hopefully this bugger will be fast. I am mainly installing it over OSX not for usage, but for testing with my job. I am also curious about how friendly it is with SSDs as I aim to mod a more powerful machine in the future with a faster 2.5 in SSD. We shall see. I will take screens and keep everyone posted on my experience with it.

Have: Black Dell Mini 9 | 64GB Runcore SSD | 2GB Kingston HyperX | Mac OSX 10.5.6 | 1.3MPxl Cam | BT | Fuzin Razin Gelaskin | 16GB Ultra II SDHC | 500GB WD Passport
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 RC installed - 05-07-2009, 05:49 PM

windows 7, my experience has been nothing but great! I have only 8gb ssd, in windows it shows 7.05gb total...after install i had 700mb free...not bad.

disabled hibernation, system restore, page file, indexing and i was up to 1.85gb free thats more like it!

i installed world of goo, open office, foxit (pdf reader), 7zip, java, flash and shockwave....still have 978mb free

i've turned some things off as far as display "aero" features...but i still have desktop peek, the two main ones running to make it look pretty.

i have to say its really snappy! so far i've been nothing but happy with 7. i can play hulu (with a good connection and off hours) in 480p mode for most animated shows...even the 360p looks great on the little screen.

i've loaded shark007 codec pack for 7 and its played everything under the sun for me...barring 1080p content....some 720p is jerky but its mainly the container/codec the person used to rip the file with.

there is nothing but good from my view with windows 7....very good operating system

Wife's: Dell Mini 12/60gb/1.3mp webcam/BT/Windows 7 RC
  (#6) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 RC installed - 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM

Aero can be left on w/o issue, but animations should be unchecked to keep it snappy.

Performance overall is great, but there is a program called vLite that can let you remove the language pack and media center, which aren't needed on a netbook and together take up a good 2.5GB.

I have two Dell Mini9s, XP and 7, and side by side I don't notice any big difference in performance honestly, but the amount of features available in a Windows 7 Ultimate (which is what the free RC is) blows away the barebones XP, and the GUI is nice.

Should be even faster with a regular home-premium install, as Ultimate has more than we need. Windows 7 is most definitely the most polished and optimized netbook OS to have at the moment, until Snow Leopard is out to compare it against.
  (#7) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 RC installed - 05-09-2009, 03:01 PM

I just installed Windows 7 RC last night, and I already love it. Just over a gig of space left over after install on my 8gb ssd. More features than Vista, which I completely avoided, and it runs faster than XP! My girlfriend is jealous because she doesn't have it on her 4gb nlited XP mini.

Dell Mini 9 Obsedian Black, 2GB Ram, 32GB SuperTalent MLC, Bluetooth, OSX 10.6.1
Moto Cliq Android 1.5 Blur
  (#8) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 RC installed - 05-10-2009, 07:04 PM

I've thought about doing Win 7 but if I do like it I'll ultimately have to buy it. My 9 came with XP at probably a $15 surcharge and it is good enough. When Win 7 is released it'll probably be cheaper for me to buy a new Netbook bundled with it and sell this 9, than buy the OS outright.
  (#9) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 RC installed - 05-11-2009, 10:47 AM

ran Windows 7 Beta since March, and now installed Windows 7 RC, and after the tweaks suggested on this forum, my available space went to about 7.5gb free (after initial install: i have the 16gb SSD), then after my apps, i am sitting at 4.5gb free...just nice ! Data is on my 16gb SDHC card.

Mini 9 (Alpine White), 16GB SSD, 2GB (Kingston), Windows 7
  (#10) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 RC installed - 05-11-2009, 04:17 PM

I have the beta but it is the 64 bit system which the single core atom cannot handle anyway...

Can you get a 32 bit versoin of RC?

How do you install it without a cd drive and without the need to dual boot (id like to wipe the ssd completely and do a fresh install of 7)

I tried installing OSs from USB by copying the contents to a formatted USB using the HP USB format tool, but i get a message which tells me to remove hardware and press any key to continue!

Mini 9, Obsidian Black, 2g RAM, 16g SSD, 1.3MP, BT, WLAN, Windows Seven Ultimate 32bit build 7600

« Internet Connectivity with DM9 | using a ATP high cap SD card »