Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Send a message via AIM to n4s720
Default Hackintosh honeymoon over? - 05-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Both blogs speak contrary to my experience with my Mini 9, however, they do make some valid points.

My belief is both Sparky and the last guy came in with too high expectations for their netbooks. I use my Mini 9 everyday in my office as school and I find that I have no real slow-down in typing.

What do you guys think about this? The blogs, that is.

Black Mini 9, 16 gig SSD, 1 gig of RAM, 1.3mpx webcam, bluetooth, Windows XP
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to weber72 Send a message via Skype™ to weber72
Default Re: Hackintosh honeymoon over? - 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Some of us responded to a couple of these blog posts in this thread:

Dell Mini 9 (Alpine White) -- 16GB SuperTalent SSD -- 2GB Kingston RAM -- 8GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC -- 1.3MP webcam -- Windows 7 RC / Linux Mint 7 RC
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Hackintosh honeymoon over? - 05-05-2009, 07:23 PM

These blogs are basically written by a bunch of Apple fanboys. Why does it they them 6 month to figure out the displays and keyboards are too small? Because Apple has recently started to bash these netbooks. They are just jumping on the bandwagon.

Let me remind you what Tim Cook from Apple had to say about netbooks:

When I'm looking at what's sold in the Netbook market, I see cramped keyboards, junky hardware, very small screens, bad software. Not a consumer experience that we would put the Mac brand on. As it exists today, we're not interested in it nor would it be something customers would be interested in the long term. We are looking at the space. For those who want a small computer that does browsing/email, they might want an iPhone or iPod Touch. If we find a way to deliver an innovative product that really makes a contribution, we'll do that.
So Apple actually want you to buy iPhone and iPod Touch instead of netbooks. Sorry, but I find a real keyboard is still better than no keyboard, and a 9" screen is better then the tiny 4" one on iPhone.

 MINI 9 | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | BT | 16GB STEC SSD | OSX 10.6.8 (NBI 2351+Legacy Kernel+SleepEnabler)
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Hackintosh honeymoon over? - 05-06-2009, 04:31 AM

I came across this article this evening.

He cites one of the articles cited in that bogus and biased article of last week about "Hackbook Fail"

I am sick and tired of these spoiled nose in the air fanbois.

Get over it you bunch of Rainbow Apple wearing sweeties.

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Hackintosh honeymoon over? - 05-07-2009, 02:17 AM

Agreed..most of those issues pertain to netbooks and not the hackint0sh installation.

I'm planning to develop some iphone app and in order to do that, you must have a mac.
  (#6) Old
Default Re: Hackintosh honeymoon over? - 05-07-2009, 02:29 AM

Everyone knows apple fanboys are idiots.

The simpsons summed them up quite well in the mypod ep in season 20.

One only has to think back to the arguments one surely had with these fanboy idiots when they used to argue about the superiority of a single button mouse.
  (#7) Old
Default Re: Hackintosh honeymoon over? - 05-07-2009, 03:54 AM

My friend told me about that post earlier and I got to read it tonight and honestly.. that post has a very incorrect title.

It hardly talks about the mini 9 as a macbook nano at all, all it is is a complaint of how small the keyboard is and the apostrophe (which the apostrophe can be fixed anyway if you want to spend some cash to get the new keyboard)

other than that.. it's only a complaint, it doesn't say anything about how having something this size running OSX is a "bad thing" as a matter of fact it doesn't really say anything about OSX.. besides comparing it to an Air.

Plus it was his fault he bought it brand new, I got mine which is full specs for $279.. 200$ less than his..

Oh and one other thing that really upset me about that post was how he was saying that 16GB wasn't enough for OSX and some other things. Seriously? Really? If you spent your time you can slim OSX down to a VERY small OS, I'm amazed how small it can get in comparison to any Windows i've come across in the last 10 years.

While yes I do have a 32gb SSD I also am only using 13GB of memory with .. OSX, full office suite, and 1GB worth of all the work I've done in college so far.

-Dell Mini 9 - Refurb $269: Obsidian Black, 32GB STEC SSD, 8GB Kingston SDHC (left from previous owner), 2GB 667Mhz RAM, 1.3MP Camera, Bluetooth, Mac OSX 10.5.7
-Dell e1705 - New $1055: ATi X1400 OC/ed 175% faster, XPS 1710 Heatsinks, XPS 1710 Body
e1705 is old, it needs not to be upgraded, but rather be replaced.
  (#8) Old
Default Re: Hackintosh honeymoon over? - 05-08-2009, 01:22 AM

The iPhone is a great little phone, but it is still that, a phone. It does not have the same level of functionality as a netbook, nor does it come close in approximating its performance. While there are cool iPhone apps, the environment is also such a "closed box" design, that many even argue that its a "feature phone" and doesn't even really meet the definition of a smartphone. So to pretend that that is competition for a netbook is ridiculous.

Apple knows that Leopard became a bit bloated, and it needs netbook optimizations if they plan to be able to compete with Windows 7 in performance/features not to mention the free option of Ubuntu, and if you look at the profit margins of the Mac Mini (go to, add a 2-yr mail-in warranty, monitor, and wireless keyboard and mouse... and make sure you are sitting down for the sticker shock, lol!!!), its also clear they don't like the cutthroat competition in this segment.

There is NO WAY that they are just unsatisfied with the performance though, as they sold Macbook Airs that have next to no ports on them, greatly reducing practicality, and the performance was outright abysmal considering the cost:
Here is a Macbook Air and Dell Mini 9 running identical OSX installations side by side as an example.

Now tell me that for light duty every check email, read news, browse web, instant message, type a word document and the like that the Mini 9 there wouldn't make a heck of a lot more sense than the Air... not to mention if you bought from the Dell Outlet that you could buy one for every member of your family in a different color for the price of one Air.

It doesn't add up, and Apple's "netbooks are junky" makes about as much sense as their insistence that SDHC, BluRay, and eSATA are just "fads".... fads that are still around and pretty much universally accepted as standards by most of the world. :roll:

« DVD Movies, how do they play on the Mini? | May Ubuntu Upgrade »