Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#21) Old

Default Re: Multitouch touchpad - 04-06-2009, 12:58 AM

Which drivers are you using? I cant get this to work using the drivers from the synaptics site(10.1.8)
  (#22) Old

Default 01-03-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klug View Post
As I was asked, here are the results of my researches on this.

The Synaptic firmware (7.0) in the Mini9 touchpad forbids the multitouch driver to work (even with multitouch enabled drivers/registry under XP Pro).

It's the same problem with 6.5 firmware found on some other laptop touchpads.

6.2 firmware (the one I have in my XPS M1330) allows you to use multitouch flawlessly.

I did not found a way to downgrade the touchpad firmware and I did not test under Ubuntu/OSX/your OS of choice.
I think you're 100% right. I just got an HP laptop with a Synaptics touchpad (firmware 6.5) and I can't get it to report more than one finger. On my old Dell e1505/6400, which has the 6.2 firmware, it works flawlessly as a multitouch touchpad. For all intensive purposes, both touchpads acted similarly when multitouch wasn't enabled in the drivers (i.e. jumpy when more than one finger was on it).

I would love to swap touchpads (or better yet, change my firmware) and get it working, but I don't think that they could be swapped because they're physically different sizes.

I did some quick googling on how extracting/updateing firmware might be possible, but haven't found any info on that. That is probably the only way to get it working.
  (#23) Old

Default 01-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtom View Post
Two finger scroll works fine with this little applet from Google Code.
Downloads - two-finger-scroll - Project Hosting on Google Code
On a Dell Vostro A90:

I installed version 10.2.4 of the Synaptics touchpad driver and I can get Chiral scrolling working in IE but not in FireFox. It seems like this is a FireFox issue not specific to the Mini 9. However, I can not get twofingerscrolling.exe (1.0.6) to work. It says that my touchpad does not support multiple fingers (or something similar to this).
  (#24) Old

Default Multitouch + Scrybe - 02-10-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klug View Post
As I was asked, here are the results of my researches on this.

The Synaptic firmware (7.0) in the Mini9 touchpad forbids the multitouch driver to work (even with multitouch enabled drivers/registry under XP Pro).

It's the same problem with 6.5 firmware found on some other laptop touchpads.

6.2 firmware (the one I have in my XPS M1330) allows you to use multitouch flawlessly.

I did not found a way to downgrade the touchpad firmware and I did not test under Ubuntu/OSX/your OS of choice.
I ended up downloading and trying Scrybe which gives you gesture support (Synaptics Gesture Suite 9.4) from here (Scrybe). This means if I want to open my video player I just do a tap with three fingers and draw a "v", or "m" for music, or "G" for google. Anyway, this didn't enable multitouch, and also advanced my driver to v15.

So then I uninstalled the driver - but left Scrybe in place - restarted the computer and installed the multitouch driver 10.2.4.0 talked about here (Enable Multi-Touch Gesture (Finger Scroll, Momentum and ChiralMotion) on Synaptics TouchPad in Windows 7/Vista/XP/Server My Digital Life) and also posted by Klug earlier.

Another restart (took a long time actually to shut down and restart) and now my XPS m1330 has Multitouch and Scrybe functionality!

Can't wait to take my Dell to class and watch the Macbooks writhe with envy!
  (#25) Old

Default 02-21-2010, 01:02 AM

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the mini and so far I've had a great experience with it. I recently installed a 32GB Runcore SSD and also installed and updated Snow Leopard, and everything works great. Since this thread was about multitouch I figured I would chime in. I'm using 10.6.2 on my dell mini 9 and the multitouch seems to be working. Two finger scroll and all. Or is there something I'm missing? Sorry to bring it back from last month but I was curious about this. I know some people say the 9 doesn't support multitouch, but it appears to be working on mine.
  (#26) Old
Administrator

Default 02-21-2010, 01:29 AM

byrdman164, most people here are discussing Windows, not OS X. There's lots of discussion of multitouch in the OS X section of the forum.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#27) Old

Default 02-21-2010, 06:03 AM

Oooooh. Oops...sorry haha.
  (#28) Old

Default 03-20-2010, 02:43 AM

Not sure if this deserves it's own thread or something. But these drivers enable two finger scrolling on the mini 9. As well as some three finger stuff too. Be sure to check it out.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=44505922#post44505922

Now all I need is a driver that enables two finger scrolling and double-button-click as middle-click, and I'm set!
  (#29) Old

Default 03-20-2010, 03:29 AM

It does work. Cool. I love my Mini 9 even more now. 3 finger press is pretty cool as well.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#30) Old

Default 03-21-2010, 07:16 AM

works for me too. I have tried a couple other options, but this is the first to actually work. It also functions quite well on my mom's hp.I have one gripe though: the mini's trackpad is too small to support horizontal 3-finger gestures. No matter how many times I have tried, I can the the 3-finger flick to go back and forth between webpages.
Oh well...

I am a picky scroller, and I don't like the windows blocky, line-by-line scrolling. So I installed two finger scroll, which you can find at
http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll
(which finally works, and never has before) and enabled the smooth scrolling option. And for good measure I installed SmoothScroll for Chrome from
https://chrome.google.com/extensions...impelpndgpoknn
and my scrolling experience is almost as buttery and smooth as on a mac! Yay!

Dell Vostro A90
16gb ssd
2gb RAM
BT+ .3 webcam
Windows 7 Ultimate Final
32gb sdhc card (Oh Yeah!)
Logitech VX nano

« Custom app created for EWF, sharing with all. | Max SSD Size for Mini 9? »