Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Fresh Windows 7 RC Install - 05-01-2009, 04:40 AM

So a few thoughts as I just installed Win 7 RC on my Mini 9. actually seems to run great! I put my stock 8Gb STEC SSD back in and went for it. The install footprint is strange. I turned off system restore and the page file. I could not turn off hibernation as it never turned on due to the small SSD. It originally had ~800Mb free. After rebooting it went up to 2.05Gb free. So the drive shows up as 7.05Gb usable with 4.99Gb for the Win 7 install.

The system just responds great. It is not as 'snappy' as my Q6600 desktop but is very 'fluid' in motion. 3 things show up in device manager as not idea what they are yet. WiFi works out of the box and surfs the web just fine. I installed zFlashPoint but can't say if it has much effect, Win 7 seems to run ok without it. Sleep to restore is *very* fast. At least as fast as Win XP which only takes 7 seconds to have WiFi running again.

One interesting thing, the unit seems hotter than I have noticed it before. I have not had time to run on battery, but maybe on the brick its running harder? It is idling at 2-4% CPU with 27% RAM (of 2GB) used. Need to unplug it and see what it does....

Power management seems better to a point, other than the heat. It will dim the screen like Ubuntu and then brighten it when you resume. Love that feature.

All in all I am very impressed.

A90, 32Gb SuperTalent SSD, 2Gb RAM, Win 7/Ubuntu 9.04 Dual Boot, WiFi, Bluetooth, WebCam
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Fresh Windows 7 RC Install - 05-01-2009, 05:58 AM

I have been (as have others) very happy with Windows 7 on my 9. I have been using it with Windows 7 since I got it, and have not had any complaints about it. The missing drivers are probably for the radio controls and the card reader. You can find them in the Windows 7 area of the forums.

« Help! "You need to restart" grey screen | GMABooster »