Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 10:48 PM

legally, the COA and key cannot be tranferred. But yes, it will work just fine. you will need to make "the phone call" but its only 5 minutes out of your life to activate it. When asked if you changed hardware, yes. When asked if it is on any other systems, no. In all likely hood that key has never been activated anyway, as the one installed from the factory is a VLK key.

Personally, I use a VLK version with the proper 4 oembios files to make it pre-activate based on a legit Dell bios. Very easy to do if you have a spare OEM clean install CD laying around.
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by RhoXS
After seeing kaizoku's sarcastic comment
You see that smiley-face in my post? That means it was a joke. Lighten up, Francis.
  (#13) Old
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-24-2009, 11:16 PM

Lancorp, you are probably correct but I want the convenience of a very small light weight laptop. The Mini 9/A90 will easily fit in my soft sided "carry to work" case without bulging the sides or adding consequential weight. It can be easily held and used in a car or on a crowded airplane seat. The small size does come with compromises but I think it will work well for me. If it doesn't, I did not waste more than a few hundred dollars.

Remote access to my office computer is not a major application as I use it infrequently. I only use it to check my office email every few days if I am away from home. I think it should work well for this purpose but it is a function I do not want to lose.

I was originally going to wait for the Mini 10s with the high res 720p screen to hit the outlet. At this time I am considering the smaller Mini 9/A90 instead.

I primarily use a laptop when I am away from home for web and email access, to download digital pictures from my camera, to run mapping software such as MS Streets & Trips, and to infrequently run MS Office apps such as Word and Excel. I also have some applications on it that lend themselves to portability such as software for accessing the setup menus in some of the toys and other electronic devices scattered around my house. It is also good for accessing the computer in my cars.
  (#14) Old
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-26-2009, 12:15 PM

(#15) Old
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-27-2009, 12:45 PM

To add to to what some people have posted previously, I don't believe that Windows XP Home will cause you any issues.

- Remote Assistance is available on Windows XP Home. Your IT staff can remote control your PC.
- Remote Desktop connector is available on Windows XP Home. You can connect to your corporate network. This is the "client side" of Remote Desktop.
- The only thing missing is Remote Desktop (the "server" side), which is not available in Windows XP Home. But keep in mind that this is used for when you want to remotely connect to your own laptop when "no one is home". I know every IT organization is different, but I've been in the field for 14 years and I haven't seen a corporate support entity use RD to go into someone's personal computer. I think, as has been indicated previously, that there is some confusion on the part of the IT staff with the Remote Desktop Connector, the tool that you would use to access your company's network.

I know what it is to support a large user community, so I'm not at all surprised that they use a broad brush to say they won't support Windows XP Home. It's not uncommon.

But like I said, you really won't have any problems and if you did, you could, as noted, simply purchase Windows XP Professional if you felt it truly necessary. Though I genuinely can't think of a single good reason to put XP Pro on a netbook unless it was to connect to a domain controller.

One sidenote, I noticed in your last posting that you intend to install MS Office and MS Streets & Trips. Make sure you get yourself a larger SSD drive, at least 16GB, because installing and updating those applications is going to take up quite a bit of space. It's actually the updating that becomes more of a problem than practically anything else, but the point remains.

Good luck with whatever your decision.

P.S. That company offer of a late model Thinkpad for $100 is a gift. Take it. I use an old R51 at work and if I could get that for $100, I'd grab it in a second. A couple of minor updates and it's a perfectly good device. ThinkPads are fantastic.
  (#16) Old
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-27-2009, 04:42 PM

RDP on a 1024x600 screen can't be as bad as the few times I had to RDP into work computers from my iPhone!

Although the "WOW!" factor at Starbucks and a local bar was off the hook when people realized what I was doing those few times.
  (#17) Old
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-27-2009, 08:11 PM

Thanks for all the good advice from everyone that posted above.

I pulled the trigger this morning and ordered a Vostro A90 with a 16 GB SSD and Ubuntu. I also ordered 2 GB of memory and a Samsung USB slimline optical drive from Newegg. I want to play with it as it is for a short time as I have no previous experience with Linux but I will certainly ultimately install either XP or W7 on it. I would really like to just use W7 but do not know how I can load it now without it expiring and possibly need to reload it again later when it is finally released for production. I am wavering if I should spend another $120 on a 32 GB SSD but think I will wait until the 16 GB drive proves insufficient.
  (#18) Old
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM

Coupla things:

With regards to a previous comment about the mini 9 and remote desktop: No, the mini 9 isn't ideal to do remote server management (via remote desktop, VNC, etc etc)-- BUT, to me, that's beside the point. I bring my mini 9 with me when I travel (which is a lot...), and I chose the mini 9 for it's fantastic form factor. The mini certainly isn't my primary means to manage servers-- but when I'm a long way away from home, in a pinch, the mini 9 does just fine for system management emergencies. The mini 9 is, in my opinion, the ideal travel companion for about anything you need to do.

With regards to "needing" XP: OK, fine-- why not just load it up inside a virtual machine? Go ahead, get the mini 9 and install the operating system OF YOUR CHOICE. Ubuntu, OSX, whatever. go nuts. When that's done, go ahead and install VirtualBox, and then load Windows XP as a guest. It's not supremely fast, but it *is* useable. I have OSX as my primary OS, and XP as a guest for those rare occasions I need to do a "windows thing".....

Hope this helps, -k
  (#19) Old
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-28-2009, 02:47 PM

I've used it to remote into a few computers as well. For sure it's not as ideal as a big display would be, but there's generally a good reason for me using the Mini when I'm doing so! It'll do the job when required.
  (#20) Old
Default Re: Is this legal? (and will it work?) - 04-28-2009, 08:21 PM

If you've ever remoted to a server using a PocketPC at 320x240, you wouldn't complain one bit about using the Mini's screen.

« OSX size on disk | Installing Applications on SDHC card / Freeing up hd space »