Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Mint - 04-16-2009, 02:27 PM

My mini 9 is running Dells Ubuntu. So far, I like it. I've run across Linux Mint and would like to try it. Bear with me, I'm still learning Ubuntu.

I've downloaded the Mint .iso and am staring at it. I would like to put this on a flash drive and boot up the mini 9 from the flash drive and try out Mint on the Mini 9. I've looked around for installing from a flash drive and have gotten lost when it says you have to be in a Linux environment to get the flash drive working. And also having to download another file to make the flash drive bootable.

Has anyone tried Mint on their mini 9? Can someone tell me or show me any easy way to make a bootable flash drive (in Windows) and use it on the mini 9?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Mint - 04-16-2009, 02:31 PM

Maybe UNetBootin would work for you? Here's the link:

I've used it to install Ubuntu 8.10, but I don't have any experience with other distros.

Mini 9 (910): Cherry Red, N270, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB STEC SSD, XP Home
Mini 10v (1011): Passion Purple, N270, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, XP Home
Inspiron 11z (1110): Passion Purple, SU4100, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Win7
Alienware M11x R1: Cosmic Black, SU7300, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Win7
Latitude 2110: Blue Ribbon, N470, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Touchscreen, Win7
Zino HD (400): True Blue, Athlon X2 3250e, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Win7
Plus a few others not discussed here...
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Mint - 04-16-2009, 06:31 PM

Most distros have an option to install to flash drives and the Mini 9 is very linux friendly

Mint is awesome. I've used the XFCE version on my desktop for a while, XFCE should run faster than the standard Gnome version and they have a KDE edition that looks slick. All are based on Ubuntu so you can run all the same software under any edition. I just got my first mini 9 last week and I like the Dell interface a lot and it boots crazy fast but when I get tired of it, I'll start trying out a few distros

I have an external dvd drive that I've used but I'll try out UNetbootin looks great and says it works with almost everything and no need to burn/waste CDs. You can also see a bunch of easy tutorials at - they include the option to save settings on the usb drive (so you can have a keychain of OSs) and there's mini programs for different distos installing from windows

if you are distro testing use UNetbootin and just swap out the iso file, you can also try out - and both are really cool looking AND has a netbook edition. all based on ubuntu so they should run great (but they may have that ubuntu audio problem, just check the forum for the easy fix)

- have fun
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Mint - 04-16-2009, 11:18 PM

I installed Ubuntu 8.10 to a flash drive using unetbootin and it works fine, but when I installed Mint and booted it, it didn't automatically connect to WiFi.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Mint - 04-20-2009, 03:58 PM

Mint is just Ubuntu with some different default software installed and a different theme. I can't see why there'd be any problem installing as you would Ubuntu.

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston RAM | 8 GB SSD | OSX 10.5.6
Dell Vostro A90 | 2 GB Kingston RAM | 16GB Runcore SSD | OSX 10.5.6 - Just Arrived. Gone Fishin'
  (#6) Old
Send a message via AIM to weber72 Send a message via Skype™ to weber72
Default Re: Mint - 04-20-2009, 09:59 PM

I don't really have anything new to add to the discussion...just wanted to let you know that I also used UNetBootIn (linked above) to install Linux Mint when I got my Mini 9 a few days ago. I have really enjoyed it thus far. Looks crisp and runs well, right out of the box. Hope you have a similar experience if you try it out.

EDIT: I did forget that you'll have to apply the sound fix after installation, but it takes only a minute, and the instructions are listed under Step 4 on this site: ... -mini.html

Dell Mini 9 (Alpine White) -- 16GB SuperTalent SSD -- 2GB Kingston RAM -- 8GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC -- 1.3MP webcam -- Windows 7 RC / Linux Mint 7 RC

« NYT: Thin and Inexpensive Netbooks... | Would you buy this combination? »