Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Advantages of Ubuntu over XP - 11-04-2008, 04:00 AM

I sincerely apologize if this has been asked before. I have browsed through the majority of the threads, but I have not found this question asked.

I am in the market for a Mini 9 soon. I am undecided on if I want XP or Ubuntu. I have always used XP, but I have messed around some with OS X...never linux.

Are there any advantages to Ubuntu over XP? Is it difficult to run or install things?

I looked at Ubuntu's website, and all the apps look pretty cool from what I can tell. Does it have more apps standard that XP?

I believe I have a licensed version of XP Pro around here somewhere I could install if I didn't like Ubuntu.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I get Ubuntu and possibly adding XP later if I can find it? Or should I just get XP up front and install Ubuntu to have two OS's?

If anyone has any advice or tips for maybe why I should get Ubuntu as opposed to XP, I would appreciate it. Thanks for the help in advance.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Advantages of Ubuntu over XP - 11-04-2008, 04:45 AM

among other things....
you'll find linux to be faster on this slow a processor.
linux can be very easy to use; depends on how attached you are to mac/windows apps; whereupon you may get fed up with linux.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Advantages of Ubuntu over XP - 11-04-2008, 05:22 AM

Good questions!

When I first started exploring Linux I read a comment that was vital for me to read and to remember: Linux is a different operating system. There are definite similarities to XP and OSX. And there are definite differences. Just try to avoid, "But... Windows does this..." or, "I'm used to doing it this way..."

As far as better? I think you'll be hard pressed to not find free Linux apps to accomplish all standard computing tasks and needs. (Notice, I didn't say "all computing tasks and needs" - there are definitely specialized apps that don't exist in Linux, but everyday stuff for most users is definitely covered.)

As far as finding and installing those programs, there are two simple, graphical ways to do this in Ubuntu: Add/Remove programs, and Synaptic Package Manager. Unlike in Windows, both actually shows programs you don't have installed, but can install as well as those installed (in case they need to be repaired or removed). All very user friendly.

Improvements in security, personalization, and speed are also to be had with Linux.

As for which to get. Personally, I got the Windows one because I knew I wanted XP, and the easiest, cheapest way to get that is from Dell. I also run Ubuntu, but downloading the ISO from their website is all that is required.

So, it is very easy to have the best of both worlds. For not too much money you can buy yourself the freedom to explore Linux without being completely dependent on it while you learn it (ie, get the Windows and double boot Ubuntu). Or you can dive right in to Linux and be forced to learn (ie, get the Ubuntu one and learn Linux much faster!)

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Advantages of Ubuntu over XP - 11-04-2008, 06:07 AM

Get the XP edition as now and then, you will need it.

Linux/Ubuntu is fun, for those who love to try new things and hate to clean system junk from time to time. No virus -- this is one of Ubuntu/Linux's advantage. Though for an experienced windoze user, dealing with virus or trojans is not difficult at all. But hey, why not simply live without these annoyances?

Personally, I'd love a dual boot. Ubuntu for most of work and windoze for something I cannot do in Ubuntu, e.g. using PPLive to watch illegal tv shows online. :ugeek:

« 2gb online storage? | 90 degree adaptor for USB wireless broadband modem »