Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Talking Dell Mini 9 LCD Hinges Too Hard - 04-11-2009, 02:41 AM

I have had my Dell Mini 9 for over 2 weeks now. I have been running OSX on it and absolutely love it!. My only concern was that I notice that the LCD screen is too hard to lift up with just 1 hand. I have to apply a bit of force to it for it open. When I compare it to my other laptops I definitely feel that it requires a bit more force to open up the LCD and I usually have to use both hands, one hand on the bottom part and one of the LCD to open it up. At first I thought maybe it is brand new so after a few times it will loosen up but nothing so far. I was just wondering if it is like that for everyone or if I should give Dell a call about it or maybe loosen the hinges myself if possible. Please provide your input.

(#2) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 LCD Hinges Too Hard - 04-11-2009, 03:11 AM

Generally speaking the mini9 is a two handed operation on opening. Unless there is a real effort, I think your probably ok.

Also see this
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 LCD Hinges Too Hard - 04-11-2009, 03:14 AM

I agree. I have hands on many of them and they pretty much are the same. I guess, over time it will wear some and be able to be opened easier.

I have had many laptops weaken to the point to where they were hard to keep the lid open the hinges became so weak.

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 LCD Hinges Too Hard - 04-11-2009, 05:07 AM

The hinges are fine (IMO). It's a two-handed operation because there isn't a ton of weight towards the front of the laptop. Larger laptops typically have the hard drive and other components towards the front. Nothing of significant weight in that area for the Mini, as the battery is in the back inline with the hinges. So there's no weight to hold down the front lower edge as you push up on the lid.

I'd certainly rather them be too stiff. Working with 4-6 year old laptops at my job gives me an appreciation for a strong hinge.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 LCD Hinges Too Hard - 04-11-2009, 05:16 AM

Generally laptops without locking mechanisms have stiffer hinges so they don't open on accident.

« Hey just a suggestion to y'all. (Ubuntu desktop users) | dead pixel right in the middle of the screen!! »