Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Charging Time - 04-09-2009, 03:00 PM

When I got my Mini 9, the manual mentioned a 12 hr first time charge. So I figured overnight. The netbook light came on when I started charging. It went out 3 hrs later. ??? I still let it run overnight just in case. On my second charge (battery said there was 5 minutes of charge left), again, it charged in 3 hrs.

Is 3 hrs the actual charge time for the standard battery? Where did 12 hrs come from?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Charging Time - 04-09-2009, 06:47 PM

wow, somebody actually read the manual?

obsidian black 1.3mp webcam, BT, 2GB RAM 32GB Buffalo dualbooting windows 7 build 7077 and ubuntu 9.04UNR
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Charging Time - 04-09-2009, 06:54 PM

It is important to not interrupt the first charge. You don't want any memory issues to result from pulling the power before the first charge cycle completes. I think you discovered that 12 hours more than covers the charging time! It's called "under promise, over deliver".
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Charging Time - 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM

I have no idea why there are still 12-24 hour charge instructions on modern electronics... in terms of functionality I am pretty sure they are a hold back to the nicad or nimh days of batteries.

At best I can guess it's so that people who buy their new electronics:

1: Charge it all the way up and don't just watch till the battery meter hits full bars. Sometimes the meter will hit full bars at only 76% or so on devices leading the consumer to think their battery life is short.

2: Try to get the user to read the manual since they have 12 hours before they can use their device. I find that for a lot of people reading the manual is quite helpful as the average joe doesn't reazlie half of what many modern devices can do.

Either way, Lion batteries do not have memory so it doesn't matter where you stop charging them and with mine, my coworker just turned it on right out of the box and it read 99% battery already. I charged it up for a few hours at my desk anyway since I wasn't using it till I went home but I am pretty sure there was no benefit.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Charging Time - 04-12-2009, 05:10 AM

Ever since Lithium Ion batteries came about, the need to condition a battery became useless.

I've never done any of this on any of my devices that have Li-Ion batteries and they all got / still get great battery life. Same as the first day I got them. Unlike NiMH batteries that seemed to lose their life over time, even though they didn't have a memory effect either.

Cherry Red Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 0.3 MP Webcam
BIOS A06 | 10.6.8

« Just got my Mini 9... Battery Question | Vote in Netbook Madness (MINI 9!) »