Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu is Just Not There - 04-08-2009, 02:24 PM

My mini 9 arrived with dell-buntu - I fired it up, played with it for about 10 minutes, said "feh", and blew it away and loaded OSX. I couldn't be happier.

HOWEVER-- if you want to run Ubuntu (or some other linux distro)- then I *highly* recommend going to the source and loading up the _real_ distribution - and not some horked up thing Dell did. (Yes, you lose the nifty codecs Dell gave us, and some games, but...).

I have heard nothing but problems with the Dell-buntu that the mini 9 has loaded-- out-of-date packages, updates not timely nor available at all, etc.

Dell is a typical hardware vendor - they make great hardware, but then ruin it by bloating up the desktops they sell with junk.

Blow it up, and start over with a fresh copy of your OS of choice-- you'll be quite pleased.
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu is Just Not There - 04-08-2009, 02:34 PM

I have worked with and built computers since the days of the Timex Sinclair. I have always used some version of either DOS or Windows - never tried Linux. Got my Mini 9 and liked what I saw. I was not happy with some of the Dell choices (Yahoo, Firefox generic, etc.) so I read the forums and switched to a full install of Ubuntu 8.10. Learned how to tweak things - again from these forums - and with a little patience I had the best operating system I have ever used. I would not install Vista if they gave it to me and paid me to use it (Windows 7 seems to be an improvement - it may end up on my IBM T42).
I just upgraded to the beta of Jaunty 9.04 and with minor tweaks it is running better than any Windows OS I have owned (Again, I am an absolute Linux newbie). Ubuntu is, in my opinion, one of the best systems for a netbook. The only thing keeping me from running it on my T42 is Photoshop - I use CS4 on a regular basis and don't have time to learn Gimp.
The forums dealt with the Yahoo toolbar and generic Firefox issue months ago along with the problems with upgrading through Dell's repositories and the Lpia architecture. None of this is new. Please, take time to search the forums and find solutions before dismissing a whole OS as broken or too difficult to use. Ask questions, there are lots of folks here who are happy to help. This is a great forum and the Mini 9 is an awesome little machine.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#13) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu is Just Not There - 04-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Well said, Bobumc.

I also want to say that Ubuntu is just one of many Linux distros. Check out the Other sub-forum here to see which distros people are using on their Minis. I personally have had very good luck with Crunchbang (an unofficial "remix" of Ubuntu that is designed for minimalism and speed) on my Mini 9. Linux comes in a lot of different flavors, depending on your needs.
  (#14) Old
Default Possible solution to Windows browsing problem - 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by joyork
10) Can't browse windows computers by name, but can connect directly to them if I know their IP.
I had this same problem with Linux in general at home (not just Ubuntu or MIn). I found my particular problem was due to my ISP's DNS-redirection/DNS-assistance "service". Your ISP has such a service if, when you type a domain name that does not exist into the browser, you get a search page instead of a "Server not found" error. Verizon and, I believe Comcast, are among the ISP's doing this.

I wrote an Ubuntu forums post, describing how to test for this, and how to get around it (at least for Verizon).
  (#15) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu is Just Not There - 04-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Great discussion here everyone! This is why I like passionate, informed forum groups.

I have XP Pro running like I want and I must say it exceeded my expectations. it has raised the bar as to what I thought the mini was capable of. Watching taskmgr while using the machine it becomes obvious the SSD is the limiting factor for most things. I even got Lightroom running and importing pics from the SDHC card to the SSD takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r. Time to start looking for a faster 32Gb+ chip...

Going from suspended to WiFi enabled only takes ~7 seconds. XP boots up very quickly and most actions are pretty snappy. It also reminded me of another reason I kept trying Linux and going back...the fonts. Firefox looks so much nicer than Mozilla.

As for the Yahoo toolbar, yeah I did look up how to remove it, and it was gone. But still got that toolbar.xml error whenever I fired up the browser. I will agree that a non dell-butu distro is likely the way to go. Once I get a bigger SSD I will dual boot it with 9.04 Netbook and let everyone know how my experience compares.

Obsidian Mini 9, Stock 8Gb, 1Gb RAM, WiFi, nothing else....yet

A90, 32Gb SuperTalent SSD, 2Gb RAM, Win 7/Ubuntu 9.04 Dual Boot, WiFi, Bluetooth, WebCam
  (#16) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu is Just Not There - 04-08-2009, 07:28 PM

That's unfortunate. I am a Linux noob and have been really enjoyed using Ubuntu since I got my Mini 9. It does everything I need it to do (e-mail, web, photo transfer/editing, movie watching, Skype, etc.) quickly and without problems. The bundled software is great too. I like it so much that I'm considering building an Ubuntu-based system for my parents to replace their tired old Windows machine.

Obsidian 9 | 2GB | 64GB | BT | 1.3MP | Hardy Heron
  (#17) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu is Just Not There - 04-08-2009, 08:18 PM

It you have the Yahoo tool bar, it is because you put it there. When Firefox updated on the 1st power up you left a box checked to install the Yahoo tool bar. I unchecked it & do not have it on my Firefox.

I am not having any problems with my OS at all. I'm still a rookie with Ubuntu though - only up to page 27 in the users guide. The other problems mentioned I have not had. I have been able to see shared files on my network easily & connect to a shared printer.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#18) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu is Just Not There - 04-09-2009, 02:43 AM

Haven't had a problem with Ubuntu here. Other then the yahoo stuff, I don't have a real problem with Dell's Ubuntu. No stability problems, no crashes, no incompatibilities. I bet some may run into problems, but others may have problems with XP. I use XP and work, and I can honestly say that XP doesn't always "just work". IMO Ubuntu fits the mini better, and is better suited to this type of device.
  (#19) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu is Just Not There - 04-09-2009, 03:56 AM

I ordered the Ubuntu version about 2 months ago. Couldn't be happier. I'm a Slackware user and have been using Linux since 1997...heavily. I've had no issue with Ubuntu whatsoever. I've seen no need to use another flavor of Ubuntu, either.

In fact, I'm also a Mac man. Will I install OS X? No. There's no reason why I should. I already have a Macbook, and to be honest, the Dell is fine. There are a few computers in my house that I'd like to keep pristine and non-tinkered. The more you play and tune with settings, the more chance you'll break something or get something out-of tune. I've at least 9 systems up and running in the house. The last thing I want to do is have to fix one of them (they keep me busy enough as it is).

Ubuntu has less overhead than XP does. It has less of a footprint, too. It's definitely polished, considering other distributions that Dell could've selected. There's no way in Hell you can do the level of tuning in Ubuntu on an XP machine. I'm saying that and not being biased when I say it. Its a simple fact that Linux is more open. Just like an auto mechanic, once you know what you're doing, Linux is childplay. Most of the time, you can fix something without rebooting.

For a netbook, Linux appears to be more scalable than XP. That may change when Windows 7 is released, but for now, the comparison is Linux and XP. There's not much you can do with Windows that you can't do with Linux, especially with netbooks. IMO, its more personal preference than anything else.

Longtime users of Windows usually have a bias that they can't shake...I'm not saying that's bad but it kinda makes those people not want to even be open-minded about comparing two different OSs. I've seen the reversal of this, also, but less so. I've Windows machines on my networks that I use for heavy gaming, so I know the value of Windows (ease of game installs, game use and configuration, for me). For resource-intensive tasks where I don't want to pay and arm and leg for software, I use opensource software and have no issues with installation and repair of apps...YMMV, though.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#20) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu is Just Not There - 04-09-2009, 04:23 PM

The first thing I did in Firefox was remove the Yahoo toolbar and install my favorite add-ons. No problem. I don't know what to tell you. Ubuntu did lock up once and I had to restart. YouTube videos weren't work well a couple times. But other than that, everything seems to work fine.

« Encryption and speed | Installing Flash Player 10 /Hulu »